• 03 Apr 2020 - 15:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tropic of Cancer / Death in Haiti (Lomi & Mulargia, 1972)  (Read 28160 times)

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

aka Al tropico del cancro

A few weeks back I enhanced a rip of the Eire VHS in 16x9 and tried to correct the colours slightly.  What does everyone think about the results?  Is it still too colourful?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Tropic of Cancer / Death in Haiti (Lomi & Mulargia, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 14:51 »

Doesn't look too bad to me.

Though I can't really tell properly at the moment as the monitor I'm on here at work isn't set up correctly and everything's a little bit too dark.

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to appreciate it better.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 14:53 »

The original print used for the Eire VHS is very colourful, it is really difficult to tone it down correctly.  I used lots of different filters in VirtualDub (which is great Jonny!) and this probably looked the best.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 22:31 »

looks lovely.  I considered doing something like this with some films but I don't know how to adjust color filters with AviSynth (to keep it as an MPEG2 rather than going from MPEG2 to AVI to MPEG2 - more of a space than quality issue).

I love VirtualDub but mainly use it to preview the AviSynth script results and get the crop values to enter into the scripts with regard to MPEG2.  Once I clear some space off my external drive, I might try it your way.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 22:49 »

looks lovely.

I have to agree. I'm on my home monitor and it looks really nice.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 22:55 »

The reds look a a tad blown out to me, but maybe my home desktop monitor sucks.   ???
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 22:57 »

The reds look a a tad blown out to me, but maybe my home desktop monitor sucks.   ???

I don't think you can avoid that given the tape's print source (I have an un-"remastered" DVDR of the tape).

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 23:28 »

I don't think you can avoid that given the tape's print source (I have an un-"remastered" DVDR of the tape).

Regardless, it's great to see all the hard work that people like you, Oliver and Jonny are putting into making these hard to find titles available in the best possible presentation under difficult circumstances.  :P
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Blackmann

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 02:54 »

I got a good copy of this film. How can I post a pic? Can someone help me?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 07:33 »

Host your image on imageshack and post the 'direct link to image' on here in between the img tags.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 09:29 »

The reds look a a tad blown out to me, but maybe my home desktop monitor sucks.

The reds are a problem but I have tried to tone them down as much as possible.  I think this might be the best I can do.

looks lovely.  I considered doing something like this with some films but I don't know how to adjust color filters with AviSynth (to keep it as an MPEG2 rather than going from MPEG2 to AVI to MPEG2 - more of a space than quality issue).

I love VirtualDub but mainly use it to preview the AviSynth script results and get the crop values to enter into the scripts with regard to MPEG2.  Once I clear some space off my external drive, I might try it your way.

Thanks Eric, VirtualDubMod is a great piece of software, it is amazing what you can do with it.  Some of the remastering tools are very effective.

Regardless, it's great to see all the hard work that people like you, Oliver and Jonny are putting into making these hard to find titles available in the best possible presentation under difficult circumstances.

Thanks Michael, I really enjoy doing it.  The only problem is that the list of potential fan DVD projects is getting smaller and smaller.  I just enhanced Magnus' (fdsmedia) fan DVD of SPIRITS OF DEATH for 16x9 playback and it looks pretty good.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 14:09 »

This features some of the same cast from Jacopetti and Propsperi's FAREWELL UNCLE TOM which was also filmed in Haiti around the same time and on which director Lomi was production manager.Look out for Alfio Nicolosi who had the magnificent role of the stud farm owner in UNCLE TOM and who plays the gay character Peacock in this.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 00:38 »

And here is the motion menu from my fan DVD.  Think some of you might like it  :D

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 00:45 »

And here is the motion menu from my fan DVD.  Think some of you might like it  :D

OMG!  ???

Very cool, Oliver. :'(

SNAPORAZ!

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 02:34 »

Thanks Michael, I really enjoy doing it.  The only problem is that the list of potential fan DVD projects is getting smaller and smaller.  I just enhanced Magnus' (fdsmedia) fan DVD of SPIRITS OF DEATH for 16x9 playback and it looks pretty good.

Yeah, sometimes I see potential fan material for fandubs of films I don't really like but you consider doing them just out of the "fun" of fandubbing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 36 queries.