• 26 Jun 2022 - 08:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Contraband / Luca il contrabbandiere (Lucio Fulci, 1980)  (Read 33164 times)

The Hunchback

This was a pretty good crime flick. Some complain about the slow pacing but I've come to expect this from Fulci.
The large amount of gore is worth the price of admission alone.
Although I didn't exactly understand all of it, I give it a solid "7".

vigilanteforce

Re: Contraband/ Luca il contrabbandiere (Lucio Fulci, 1980)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 20:10 »

Its the first Italian crime film I watched consciously (I had previously seen RULERS OF THE CITY but I was too young so it doesn't really count). The acing wasn't too slow- personally I don't think there was a single boring bit in this one! I'd give it an 11/10 ::)

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 20:15 »

I think this was the first one for me also. I didn't think much of it then. Only seen it once. I'll have to go back and see it again. I think it's more violent than LIVE LIKE A COP...at least I remember it that way.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 20:47 »

It is more violent indeed. If not more violent, then certainly gorier. LIVE LIKE A COP also attempts to lighten the tone with the happy-sounding music score, a technique that Deodato also uses (very effectively)  in CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. That is not the case with Fulci's film though. Deodato's film is violent fun while CONTRABAND is more unpleasant thanks to the brutal violence against women and the over the top gore.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 20:51 »

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT also did this...less effectively, IMO.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 20:55 »

You are right, it wasn't so effective in LAST HOUSE. I'd rather have Aldo Lado's NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS any day. Way darker, more grim, more shocking.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:01 »

You are right, it wasn't so effective in LAST HOUSE. I'd rather have Aldo Lado's NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS any day. Way darker, more grim, more shocking.

That's another one I need to see again. I was a bit disappointed in it. The NIGHT TRAIN movie. I did like it, though. I think it was the hype surrounding it. It was very well directed though. I have yet to even watch the doc on the BU disc.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:06 »

You should give it another try! Actually I believe its the Craven film that is over-hyped although I really like it.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:08 »

I most definitely will. I always give something a second look down the road whether I like it or not. I often tend to see things in a different way the second time around. Have you ever seen a movie called ISLAND OF DEATH or WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? Not Euro movies but very nasty and disturbing.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:15 »

Have you ever seen a movie called ISLAND OF DEATH or WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? Not Euro movies but very nasty and disturbing.
It is a European movie,it's a Spanish horror classic from the early 70's.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:18 »

I think WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? is Euro- it is Spanish isn't it? Last time I saw it was like 7 years ago on VHS and I plan on buying the new DVD on Dark Sky. I don't remember anything about it to be honest, don't even think I still have it in my collection.

Another one I recommend HIGHLY is the Greek production ISLAND OF DEATH- the one that was banned in the UK as a video nasty. It has to be one of the sleaziest, most sadistic, most politically incorrect films of all time!

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:20 »

I know they are spanish and greek. I meant of the italian kind. I should have specified.  

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:26 »

The NIGHT TRAIN movie. I did like it, though. I think it was the hype surrounding it. It was very well directed though.
Aldo Lado is a great director, check out the weird giallo Short Night of the Glass Dolls(Malastana) and the amazing Who Saw Her Die-2 classics.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:28 »

NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS isn't indicative of Lado's talent as a director; it was a ratehr grimey, flatly-directed LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT cash-in. Stephen is right - his gialli are great - especailly the wonderful WHO SAW HER DIE?
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

vigilanteforce

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2007 - 21:38 »

NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS isn't indicative of Lado's talent as a director; it was a ratehr grimey, flatly-directed LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT cash-in.

I disagree here- I suppose you you just don't like the movie? It was grim indeed but visually, it was a lot more stylish than Craven's movie. It certainly was not MALASTRANA/SHORT NIGHT but still was VERY well-made for what it was, an exploitation film. And yes, it was a LAST-HOUSE cash-in although that was the producer's intention as Lado stated in his interview for the BU disc, not his own. It would be unfair to look at it as another cash-in because it may be imitating the Craven film, but still has some elements of its own- such as the social commentary that Lado talks about in the same interview. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.