• 26 Aug 2019 - 06:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Left-handed Johnny West / Johnny West il mancino (Gianfranco Parolini, 1965)  (Read 2768 times)

Andrew Monroe

A half-breed gunslinger and 3 traveling salesmen are the only thing that stands between two brothers and a goldmine they will kill to own...This is Parolini`s first western I believe, and while it`s not completely without interest it doesn`t measure up to his later classics like SABATA and the first SARTANA. Dick Palmer aka Mimmo Palmara is fine in his many supporting roles, but frankly he`s not charismatic enough to be a lead. Another problem is the 3 salesmen, the supposed "comic relief", they`re extremely annoying and make the 3 Stooges look like masters of subtlety. On the plus side, it`s quite violent particularly for an early entry in the genre. Johnny`s (left) gun-hand is mangled by the baddies in a scene that almost seems to presage DJANGO. Problem is, with Johnny it`s no big deal! Moments later he picks up a pistol with his right hand and blasts away with deadly accuracy. There are the fun Parolini touches though, a cane that doubles as a gun and the main villain pulls an unbelievable stunt during the big final showdown. A funny line now and then too: "They`ll use that wood stump for a coffin handle." when a pegleg is killed. Another plus is the Lavagnino title song, a memorable melancholy tune - a few tracks are available on the DRG Spaghetti Westerns Vol. 1 compilation.

The Trinity dvd I watched is fullscreen and a pretty worn print - probably cut as well. There are regular fade-outs too, that made me suspicious this was sourced from a television broadcast. Would love to see a nice widescreen presentation and give the film another chance.

LANZETTA

The Trinity dvd I watched is fullscreen and a pretty worn print - probably cut as well. There are regular fade-outs too, that made me suspicious this was sourced from a television broadcast. Would love to see a nice widescreen presentation and give the film another chance.

That sounds like my copy though it only cost me a couple of quid off Amazon.Can't remember too much about it other than a feeling of great disappointment.I'll give it another look at some point.

Andrew Monroe

That sounds like my copy though it only cost me a couple of quid off Amazon.Can't remember too much about it other than a feeling of great disappointment.I'll give it another look at some point.

Yeah, I got a new copy thru Amazon Marketplace for a few bucks. Definitely not worth paying anymore than that for, and really hard to recommend the dvd at all. Only for diehards and big Parolini fans - I`d consider myself both.

mattblake

Coincidentally, I did a review of this the other night.  I've just posted it on my blog...

http://thewildeye.co.uk/blog/2008/08/johnny-west/

Andrew Monroe

Coincidentally, I did a review of this the other night.  I've just posted it on my blog...

Nice review, I think you pretty much summed up my feelings on the film too. I`d still love to see a widescreen presentation of it, flawed as it is. There`s a scene that Parolini would later repeat in SABATA, where a bundle of cash is shot and scattered in the wind for the outlaws to run after.

Btw, big fan of your Eurospy Guide, Matt. Been just begining to explore the genre seriously the last year or so and it`s been a huge help.

mattblake

Glad you're enjoying it!

Stephen Grimes

Nice review Matt,brings back memories of the much missed Cheeseplant fanzine from many moons ago :D

The Hunchback

Concerning your review Andrew, I'm certain the reason the guy who plays Chris Jefferson isn't credited is because he is played by the same actor who plays the other brother (Adriano Micantoni), the characters are twins after all.
Other than that little hiccup you made a great review!

mattblake

Ah, that could well be the case!  I'm rubbish at IDing people (especially when watching grainy old videos...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 32 queries.