• 12 Jul 2020 - 22:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Happened To Dubbing?  (Read 4158 times)

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
What Happened To Dubbing?
« on: 27 Aug 2008 - 23:22 »

I watched Spanish horror film [REC] over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  A great cast, a good atmosphere and effects... maybe it doesn't break any new ground, but what it does it does well. So of course I checked out the trailer for the American re-make, Quarantine. And I dunno... it doesn't look good to me. It doesn't feel 'real', when the idea that events are unfolding in front of you is core to the film's success. Which made me wonder why somebody couldn't just dub [REC] into English? Are English and American audiences really that turned-off by a film shot in Spain with a Spanish cast? It'd be a whole lot cheaper, and with the wonders of 21st century cinema I'm sure they could get everything synchronised and hunky-dory a lot faster than they used to. And it would be a lot cheaper than re-shooting the film shot-for-shot and risking losing what made the original worth remaking in the first place. Maybe they could even dub it, screen it, get the audience's yay or nay and then decide whether they wanted to re-make it...

...which leads me on to another question. When did dubbing for an English-speaking audience grind to a halt? And what's the last dubbed-into-English film you can remember seeing?

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
Re: What Happened To Dubbing?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2008 - 23:57 »

I'd say it's more about having a film with recognizable and bankable American names myself.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 06:04 »

I'd say it's more about having a film with recognizable and bankable American names myself.

That was my thought, too, with one caveat!

We want English speaking Hollywood STARS, be they American, British, Australian, Canadian, etc.
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 14:16 »

...which leads me on to another question. When did dubbing for an English-speaking audience grind to a halt?

When I first saw [REC] and then the QUARANTINE trailer, I was struck by the same thing -- why not just sub the Spanish movie and release it Stateside like that? Is there that big an aversion to subbing/dubbing here, or is Hollywood so bereft of ideas that they'd rather spin their wheels with a needless remake rather than admit "We've got nothing." I even pitched such an A&E editorial to one of my editors (newspaper, that is), and he liked the idea. I may still write it as a QUARANTINE tie-in if schedule allows.

Yeah, except handheld first-person POV DV horror stuff always works best with an unknown cast, don't you think?

And what's the last dubbed-into-English film you can remember seeing?

Good question. I guess for me it was ANATOMY with Franka Potente. That was a 2000 film.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 14:46 »

When I first saw [REC] and then the QUARANTINE trailer, I was struck by the same thing -- why not just sub the Spanish movie and release it Stateside like that?

That's how it was released theatrically over here. From what I heard it was only a very limited release, I think only one cinema chain got prints (might have been ODEON)
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 15:17 »

When I first saw [REC] and then the QUARANTINE trailer, I was struck by the same thing -- why not just sub the Spanish movie and release it Stateside like that?

That's how it was released theatrically over here. From what I heard it was only a very limited release, I think only one cinema chain got prints (might have been ODEON)

It was Odeon, mate. The film was distributed theatrically in the UK by Odeon Sky Filmworks, which is a joint venture between the cinema chain and the satellite company. they also released THE OXFORD MURDERS and WAZ, I think.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 15:27 »

Good question. I guess for me it was ANATOMY with Franka Potente. That was a 2000 film.

What the F am I saying? It was the Korean monster movie THE HOST from '06.

Mr White

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 22:53 »

The last dubbed movie i saw was THE MACHINE GIRL.

It was fucking terrible(the dubbing). I have since got a subbed one. I prefer subs to a dub most definitely

mook

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 08:34 »

The last dubbed movie i saw was THE MACHINE GIRL.

It was fucking terrible(the dubbing). I have since got a subbed one. I prefer subs to a dub most definitely
Dubbing can be amusing though

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 08:52 »

If you want bad, check out the dubbing on the Dutch Ichi the Killer.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 10:18 »

And what's the last dubbed-into-English film you can remember seeing?
didn't MOTHER OF TEARS have a fair bit of dubbing in it?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

vigilanteforce

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 12:30 »

The other day I was watching SICILIAN CROSS/GLI ESECUTORI starring Roger Moore and the dubbing was unbelievably funny in places. Specially the voices of Romano Puppo, Fausto Tozzi and Peter Martell. But then I thought that was nothing compared to a Godfrey Ho movie  :-\

By the way, here is what I call GREAT, BAD dubbing:

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 12:42 »

Ha! Ha! Great trashy looking fun there Lefteris.

RAMBU:THE INTRUDER

I've seen this in Bill's auctions a few times but ignored it, if it pops up again i may well have a bid ::)

love the way he threw that ball and it came back to him each time! ::)

Do you want help dubbing your Greekspolitation classics in English?  :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

zykl0nb

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2008 - 11:41 »

STORY OF RICKY has some great dubbing.. there's something about modern dubs that just isn't enjoyable though.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2008 - 18:36 »

Ha! Ha! Great trashy looking fun there Lefteris.

RAMBU:THE INTRUDER

I've seen this in Bill's auctions a few times but ignored it, if it pops up again i may well have a bid ::)

love the way he threw that ball and it came back to him each time! ::)

Do you want help dubbing your Greekspolitation classics in English?  :D

You shouldn't miss the chance next time Aaron, this film is unbelievably trashy! I think I sent a copy to Johny once.  Greeksploitation dubbed in English? LOL I have some English versions of Greek movies and the dubbing is funny. Not as trashy as THE INTRUDER of course :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 36 queries.