• 09 Jul 2020 - 18:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Happened To Dubbing?  (Read 4150 times)

aylmer666

Re: What Happened To Dubbing?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2008 - 08:09 »

okay call be absolutely crazy - but I actually PREFER dubbing to subtitles.  Subs just get in the way of everything - I hate directing my attention to READING when I want to be turning my brain off and getting absorbed in a visual story.

I always, given the choice, pick an English-dubbed movie (especially Italian movies - as they're dubbed either way) over the option of Original Language w/ Subtitles, at least for the first go-round.

There is the odd instance of a film's dubbing being so bad, however, that I have to go with the subs instead.  Who dubbed MAN CALLED MAGNUM?  That was NOT the usual crew of Eurocult dubbers.  Sounded more like some kids in a garage who didnt even know the translation!  Also the dubbing on the US DVD's of STALINGRAD and AGUIRRE THE WRATH OF GOD are terrible... and all the new post-1989 Godzilla movies.  It's like Sony dubbed the new ones bad on purpose just to make their 1998 travesty look good in comparison!

AIP in the 60's and 70's did EXCELLENT dubbing on their releases.  Most of the Gamera movies released by AIP were so well dubbed that kids wouldn't even pick up on it.  The later Sandy Frank redubs unfortunately get a lot more play though.

Where was I?  Yeah, I don't know why dubbing died... art film snobs who love subtitled black and white French films?   Hey, I love BATTLE OF ALGIERS as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see Maurizio Merli shouting expletives with Michael Forest's dubbed-in voice any day of the week.

At least dubbing is still alive and thriving in the wonderful world of Japanese Anime... too bad I can't stand the stuff!

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2008 - 10:26 »

Who dubbed MAN CALLED MAGNUM?  That was NOT the usual crew of Eurocult dubbers.  Sounded more like some kids in a garage who didnt even know the translation! 
That's the same bunch who also did TARGET (Guido Zurli),VIOLENCE FOR KICKS,DEADLY CHASE (Franco Prosperi),DIRTY GANG,TORINO VIOLENTA and a few others,all painfully bad.

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2008 - 13:19 »

Yeah, those guys who did MAN CALLED MAGNUM and those others are absolutely horrible! Did they do THE BEAST IN HEAT too? I remember the dubbing on that one too being untolerably bad.

Generally, though, I like to watch Italian films dubbed in English but the quality of the dubbing really started to go downhill somewhere in the 1990s with many of the old pros either dying or retiring, and many of the new "talent" just didn't cut it.

But the most important thing for me is getting the original voices of the actors, which is why I don't see any point in watching dubbed versions of, say, French or German films. It just doesn't work. So mainly it's just Italian films I like to watch dubbed.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2010 - 12:51 »

I thought I'd revive this ancient thread I started seeing as how yesterday my mother mentioned that her sister who lives in Dudley had been very disappointed to see a dubbed version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO at her local cinema. If she's right it's the first dubbed film I've heard of for ages (I'd heard it was subtitled...)

Can anybody confirm that there's a dubbed version being shown at the moment?

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2010 - 12:55 »

Can anybody confirm that there's a dubbed version being shown at the moment?

Yep! The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo [Dubbed] - BBFC seach results
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Mar 2010 - 12:58 »

I thought I'd revive this ancient thread I started seeing as how yesterday my mother mentioned that her sister who lives in Dudley had been very disappointed to see a dubbed version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO at her local cinema. If she's right it's the first dubbed film I've heard of for ages (I'd heard it was subtitled...)

A few recentish Hong Kong films have dubs :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2010 - 17:20 »

Cheers guys!  :P

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.