• 08 Dec 2019 - 10:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Rides A Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)  (Read 6678 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

Not watched this for a few years, i picked up the U.K. mgm disc recently so i decided to revisit it....

and i'm glad i did, i honestly forgot how good this film was, I'd say it was Lee Van Cleef's best performance after the Leone films.

Ennio Morricone provides a fantastic score (for those of you who have seen Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill you will notice it) and the cinematography is superb, making full use of the beautiful Almeria locations.

The print of the film is good but looks a bit grainy in parts and is presented in aspect ratio 2.35:1.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Andrew Monroe

Yep, I love this one too. I`m still making do with a dvd-r off TCM, keep hoping MGM will get off their ass and release it here. I`ve noticed some complaints about John Philip Law in the film but I think he`s fine. I go back and forth as to whether it`s this film or DAY OF ANGER for LVC`s best after the Leone films.

Great score, up there with NAVAJO JOE in its strange yet hauntingly effective vibe.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

I`ve noticed some complaints about John Philip Law in the film but I think he`s fine.
I think his performance was good enough, maybe it's the deep voice that he's dubbed with that puts some people off, it doesn't match his face that well but it no way spoils it for me.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Yep, I love this one too. I`m still making do with a dvd-r off TCM, keep hoping MGM will get off their ass and release it here.
Have you got a multi-region dvd player Andrew? If so why not import the U.K. edition.

Andrew Monroe

Have you got a multi-region dvd player Andrew? If so why not import the U.K. edition.

Oh hell yeah I got a multi-region player Aaron, what self-respecting eurotrash fan doesn`t? Haha. I`m actually happy with the widescreen TCM print, from your remarks on the MGM disc you got it`s about like that - bit of grain and age but very watchable - If it never hits region 1 I`ll grab that no doubt, but a man can dream can`t he*?  :P

* If there were some must-see extras on the UK disc I`d have caved.

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action

I got the region 4 with the same cover, it was a revelation seeing it in widescreen.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica

Some screenshots in my review if you want some more tempting - Death Rides a Horse.

I really enjoyed the film, with the exception of JPL who I felt was simply too wooden. Someone like Peter Lee Lawrence would have been ideal. Aside from that it is one of the best SW titles - that duel in the bar is probably one of the very best in the genre.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

Nice review there Tim.

I'm definately glad i got the U.K. disc now, i had (and still have) the Japanese release in the box set, i didin't realise it was cut,do you know what footage is missing?

Andrew Monroe

Yes, typically thorough review Tim. Life`s too short to keep waiting for a region 1 disc of this, so I went ahead and ordered the UK dvd from Xploited. Bastards and your relentless pressure!  :-* Been a good couple of years since I watched this, can`t wait for it to arrive.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Morricone's 'From Man To Man' is currently rocking in the lovelockandload jukebox if you don't already know  :D
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
Re: Death Rides A Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2008 - 18:50 »

Nice review there Tim.

I'm definately glad i got the U.K. disc now, i had (and still have) the Japanese release in the box set, i didin't realise it was cut,do you know what footage is missing?

Just going by DVD Rewind, I've not got the Japanese disc myself:
A short close up of a guy getting stabbed at the beginning of the film is said to be missing from this print.

Thanks for the PM BTW, will be fixed.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

The Hunchback

« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2008 - 17:27 »

I`ve noticed some complaints about John Philip Law in the film but I think he`s fine.
maybe it's the deep voice that he's dubbed with that puts some people off, it doesn't match his face that well but it no way spoils it for me.

I'm pretty certain that was Law's actual voice.

Andrew Monroe

« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2008 - 22:13 »

I'm pretty certain that was Law's actual voice.

Having rewatched the film recently, I agree. It`s almost certainly his voice.

jaho

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2009 - 01:12 »

Having only seen this from the wretched bargain bin DVDs that are available here, when I saw the MGM UK DVD it almost brought a tear to my eye.  It was like I discovered a new Lee Van Cleef western.  If you haven't seen it in its widscreen format, do yourself a favor and pick it up, immediately.  Great Film.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 33 queries.