• 03 Jul 2020 - 14:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbery (Peter Yates, 1967)  (Read 5830 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Robbery (Peter Yates, 1967)
« on: 12 May 2008 - 11:02 »

Great news, people! This Stanley Baker classic is getting a UK DVD release on 21st July, thanks to Optimum  ;)
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
Re: Robbery (Peter Yates, 1967)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2008 - 13:24 »

Great news, people! This Stanley Baker classic is getting a UK DVD release on 21st July, thanks to Optimum  ;)

Great News!  ::)

I can replace my full-frame EP VHS tape!  :-\
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2008 - 15:52 »

Here's the UK cover:

"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2008 - 19:19 »

Here's the first review  :D  Robbery (1967).

A celebrate I've also put up a complete new biography of Mr Baker, with reviews of three of his other crime films - all certainly worth tracking down if you are a fan.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

fdsmedia

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2008 - 21:10 »

Here's the first review  :D
Sorry, but this one was published a few weeks ago... :D

http://www.cinedelica.com/2008/06/dvd-review-robb.html

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2008 - 01:31 »

Here's the first review  :D  Robbery (1967).

A celebrate I've also put up a complete new biography of Mr Baker, with reviews of three of his other crime films - all certainly worth tracking down if you are a fan.

Nice review, Tim. I'm gutted the disc is fullscreen though. Really annoying.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2008 - 06:41 »

I'm gutted the disc is fullscreen though. Really annoying.

Was the film shown 1.66:1 theatrically in Europe?  imdb says the OAR is 1.85:1, but that may be the ratio of the US theatrical release.

Thanks in advance  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Sharkey

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2008 - 01:07 »

The OAR should be 1.85:1 I would have thought,the bbc have shown it this way before,shame it is not in it's correct OAR though.:-( I wonder why they are releasing in fullframe though!!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2008 - 09:01 »

The OAR should be 1.85:1 I would have thought,the bbc have shown it this way before,shame it is not in it's correct OAR though.:-( I wonder why they are releasing in fullframe though!!

I think you are incorrect stating that Robbery should be 1.85:1. I'm pretty sure, like Michael mentioned before, that the theatrical ratio would've been 1.66:1.

1.85:1 was the US theatrical widescreen standard at the time of the films release, whereas in the UK and Europe it was 1.66:1.

Therefore with this film being a British film it could be safe to assume it was shot either fullframe or composed with the 1.66:1 matting in mind.

Some info at this link...

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/evolution.htm

Scroll down and you'll find this...

"Even though 1.85:1 was rapidly being adopted in North America, European theatres settled on 1.66:1. The reason for the difference is probably an economic rather than an artistic consideration. The European economy had gone from the devastation of the Great Depression directly into World War II and the effects would last for decades. Installation of giant new screens came much slower in Europe. European motion picture production was slow to get back to its pre-war levels so films composed for wider ratios were not a huge factor and there was an enormous backlog of unseen American films, made in 1.37:1, that were very popular with European audiences. Television had not eroded the audiences at this time either, so there was no need to significantly alter screen shape to differentiate movies from T.V. Over the past 20 years, European standards have evolved to embrace the 1.85:1 aspect ratio as a defacto standard, in addition to the 2.40:1 CinemaScope ratio"

When shown in the USA the image would be cropped to fit the 1.85:1 ratio.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2008 - 10:22 »

So what's the word on the Optimum DVD?

Is it P&S or is it an open-matte presentation.

The review below seems to think it's slightly cropped vs. opened up?

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/dvd/reviews/r/robbery.html

Any opinions, mates?  :-X
SNAPORAZ!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 01 Sep 2008 - 10:38 »

The review below seems to think it's slightly cropped vs. opened up?

When they say cropped do you think they mean at the sides only? The images do indeed look a little tight at the sides but the headroom looks plentiful to me.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #11 on: 01 Sep 2008 - 11:00 »

When they say cropped do you think they mean at the sides only? The images do indeed look a little tight at the sides but the headroom looks plentiful to me.

Yep! The review I linked above seems to think so.  Too bad there isn't more side image. 

I went ahead and ordered it today anyway.  I sold an unopened ROBBERY VHS tape at EP speed in July for $30 US  :-\ at amazon.com, so that'll pay for the Optimum DVD :-X, even though I held off after I heard it was 4x3 vs. 16x9. :-[

SNAPORAZ!

reaper72

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2009 - 22:40 »

Thoroughly enjoyed this film!I had never seen it before and wasn't disappointed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.