• 27 Jan 2021 - 02:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eden Lake (James Watkins, 2008)  (Read 3011 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Eden Lake (James Watkins, 2008)
« on: 14 Sep 2008 - 23:27 »

I went to see this tonight and really didn’t know what to expect, as the film’s reviews had varied so terrifically. I knew that it was going to be something I either loved or hated intensely but wasn’t prepared for anything like I was about to experience.

Though the film has the most simple of premises at its centre—beautiful young middle class couple become the quarry of a group of kids whose violent behaviour seemingly has no bounds—but writer/director James Watkins cranks up so much tension that the film becomes almost unbearable to endure. EDEN LAKE is, without doubt, the most violent film I have ever seen in the cinema. That said the film’s violence, while unflinching, is never gratuitous and is an essential element that allows the audience to sympathise with the protagonists and more importantly, understand that the aggressors—or at least their leader—know no limits. Many would criticise Watkins for merely tapping into the tabloid hysteria that surrounds knife crime in the UK today and the demonising of hoodies but EDEN LAKE is so much more; it’s that rare type of film that seems to channel the public’s fear du jour and apply it to an exploitation narrative, but manages to do it successfully. It may not be the most original film in the history of cinema—there were several times during the film that recalled either Wes Craven’s LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT or one of its Italian rip-off pictures—but EDEN LAKE is a visceral, and more importantly, emotional rollercoaster ride of a film. It is completely unrelenting in its pacing and depiction of the depravity that human beings are capable of. It’s also the best fright picture to have come out of the UK in years.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

grantwal

Re: Eden Lake (James Watkins, 2008)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2008 - 10:31 »

This is certainly starting to sound like an interesting film. Thanks for the heads up Paul I think I'll have to check this out...

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2008 - 15:41 »

Paul's review in full can now be found on the main site...

Eden Lake - Review

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2008 - 12:38 »

Hadn't even heard about this one until I read this. I guess I really don't pay close enough attention to new films...

Excellent review, though! Now I'm intrigued and will probably check out the film!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2008 - 13:52 »

Cheers, Johan. I hope you enjoy the film as much as I did, mate.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2008 - 12:20 »

I saw it at Frightfest. I enjoyed it, but one mate of mine came out calling it the biggest pile of reactionary crap he'd seen in years, and the sort of thing the Tories might show at their next party conference!
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2008 - 08:30 »

Saw it on the weekend.

I liked it but it's not really my type of "horror film". Why anyone would go to an old quarry for a weekend is beyond me. lol.

Marc, your comment about the Tories is pretty valid!! The first thing i said coming out the cinema was the Tories would love this film to use for their Broken Britain!!  ;D
Dig that groove baby.

reaper72

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2009 - 22:39 »

It certainly does show a broken Britain though! Terrific and very harrowing film.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.