• 12 Aug 2022 - 05:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dobermann (Jan Kounen, 1997)  (Read 3314 times)

pricey

• Almost Human
Dobermann (Jan Kounen, 1997)
« on: 09 Jun 2010 - 09:38 »

Couldn't find a thread for this film elsewhere here, so sorry if I'm doubling up. Saw this film again recently, and Enjoyed it. Hadn't seen this since it's cinema release. Monica Bellucci is definitely at her sexiest here, Tcheky Karyo puts in one of the most oily performances in history, and the whole thing is so completely OTT that I found it hilarious. The scene where Cassell pushes the man's face onto the moving pavement whilst driving the speeding car is eye wateringly nasty, as is the scene with the baby with the grenade. I would imagine this film divides opinion, any haters? Likers?http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Of7I7c9zwJM&feature=related

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
RE: Dobermann (Jan Kounen, 1997)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 09:45 »

I saw this when it came out and haven’t seen it since. I remember liking it but very little else. I do however have a recollection of Karyo throwing a hand grenade into the playpen of a toddler belonging to a suspect he wants to gather information from!
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
Re: Dobermann (Jan Kounen, 1997)
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 09:52 »

That's a coincidence, I was trying to recall the name of the film where [spoiler]a motorcyclist has a hand grenade put inside his helmet [/spoiler]but for the life of me I couldn't  ??? But this has reminded me. A really good film & one that I need to watch again.

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 10:07 »

i have this on an old tartan dvd and although i loved the film, i seem to remember it looked mastered from vhs (very hazy in places) and the white subs were on the picture making them very hard to read at times, the film letterboxed but off the top off my head i'm unsure of the actual aspect ratio, but i remember thinking why are the subtitles not in the black area below the film cos i can't read most of them!!!..
has this been rerelease with better subs and picture quality??
Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 10:10 »

has this been rerelease with better subs and picture quality??

Not here in the UK.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

pricey

• Almost Human
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 10:11 »

This definitely needs a remastered release for sure.
I think the director is Belgian. He definitely has an early Sam raimi vibe to his films. I have a short of his called 'VibroBoy' (That I picked up in Fnac in Les Halles) where a man possessed by an ancient demon attaches a wooden vibrator onto the end of a pneumatic drill, and proceeds to kill a bunch of people on a campsite, heres a clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GokZUS8cpKk

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 10:25 »

Christ, yes Vibroboy. I'd forgotten that was the same director.

Zarith

« Reply #7 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 13:16 »

I think the director is Belgian.

He is French. A funny guy, a bit lunatic. He seems to be high all the time. He's into shamanic trance and hallucinatory drugs. He made a movie about it: D'autres Mondes ("Other Worlds"):

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18364894&cfilm=44432.html

I like his movies a lot. I wish he could develop more personal projects. Unfortunately he is forced to make mainstream stuff now. 99 francs and Chanel Coco & Igor Stravinsky, his latest films, are both extremely mainstream biopics. It's a shame, since Kounen true love is fantasy (The real fantasy not the Harry Potter fantasy!).

pricey

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jun 2010 - 13:42 »

Just had a look on his IMDB and it says that he was born in the Netherlands, so I guess we were both wrong. His post 'Blueberry' filmography is really odd. A pair of ethnographic documentaries, a film about the advertising industry, and a Coco Chanel biopic. He seems to have totally shrugged his fantasy/crime roots.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2010 - 10:31 »

I think this is way better than anything I have seen by Tarantino. And the visual style is just fantastic..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.