Euro Cult Movie Forum > Police & Crime

Gangsters '70 (Mino Guerrini, 1968)

<< < (2/6) > >>

vigilanteforce:

--- Quote from: Johan Melle on 06 Oct 2008 - 12:33 ---The DVD appears to be incomplete, however, as I was unable to find Linda Sini anywhere in the film in spite of her being prominently listed in the credits. It makes sense as I see Movietime lists 110 minutes as the running time - I can tell you that the German disc runs considerably shorter than that!

--- End quote ---

If I ever come across a German DVD or VHS that is complete that will be a miracle. Germans are ridiculous when it comes to cutting movies. They even cut stuff that isn't particularly bloody or violent. I used to think Brittish people were the worse but not anymore.  :)

GANGSTERS sounds interesting- always used to confuse it with Giuseppe Vari's film RETURN OF THE 38 GANG.

mattblake:
I like this film a lot.  It's very much a 60s crime film... slow, twisty, existential, complete with nihilistic ending.  I agree that it would be great to see an English version of this - I've got an old German VHS, but that's it (and I'm pretty sure that doesn't have Linda Sini in it either)

Guerrini also made Date for a Murder, which is also pretty good, before drifting into comedies in the 70s.  Has anybody ever seen his Colpo del sole?  It's one I've never been able to track down a copy of and it sounds interesting...

Johan Melle:
I have DATE FOR A MURDER but not seen it yet. Guerrini's output seems to be mixed, though. His THE THIRD EYE is excellent but his final movie, THE MINES OF KILIMANJARO (1986), is pretty awful! Not that I didn't find it enjoyable, because I did, but for all the wrong reasons!  :P

I didn't think the ending in GANGSTERS '70 works at all. It wasn't convincing. A big part of the problem is Franca Polesello, who I thought was totally bland as the female lead. Which is too bad because I thought she was quite good in LSD - FLESH OF THE DEVIL (1967).

--- Quote from: vigilanteforce on 06 Oct 2008 - 13:15 ---Germans are ridiculous when it comes to cutting movies. They even cut stuff that isn't particularly bloody or violent.

--- End quote ---

I know! It's really frustrating! I remember watching THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS on German TV and they had cut out huge chunks! Not just violence but complete scenes. For example, all the scenes with Debra Berger at the partisan camp were removed. They cut out her entire performance except for the brief bit at the end. It doesn't make any sense when she shows up in the final scene because the audience does of course not know who she is!

vigilanteforce:

--- Quote from: Johan Melle on 07 Oct 2008 - 22:51 ---
I know! It's really frustrating! I remember watching THE INGLORIOUS BASTARDS on German TV and they had cut out huge chunks! Not just violence but complete scenes. For example, all the scenes with Debra Berger at the partisan camp were removed. They cut out her entire performance except for the brief bit at the end. It doesn't make any sense when she shows up in the final scene because the audience does of course not know who she is!

--- End quote ---

Come on, they even remove violence from mainstream films (let alone "cult" ones) I have a box of the first 3 RAMBO films and there's a body explosion missing from part 2 and the famous "gunpowder in wound" from part 3 is obviously cut! I will think twice before buying any German release again. Sorry for going off topic  :)

Johan Melle:
I think the problem with many of these films is that, for whatever reason, various scenes (not just violent ones) were cut before the films were screened in theaters, and hence these cut scenes were never even dubbed into German. So when DVD companies are releasing these films today, they don't bother to include the cut scenes because they're not in German.
More serious DVD companies who actually care about the fans will include the cut stuff but a lot of these smaller companies just don't give a damn...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version