• 18 Aug 2022 - 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I guappi non si toccano / Don’t Trust the Mafia (Mario Bianchi, 1979)  (Read 6966 times)

Canisius

It’s about time that this dirty and ultra-cheap Bianchi effort to make a decent crime movie gets its own thread. This flick has all the desired ingredients to satisfy euro-trash enthusiasts. Kicking it off with a catchy funk score, the viewer quickly realises the true strength of this movie: it is the illustrious cast. We have sleazy Gabriele Tinti who is forced by slimy Richard Harrison to investigate a mafia clan. The clan is described perfectly by Tinti at their first meeting calling them stupid and literally “a bunch of cripples”! Head of the cripples is a snake-obsessed (his snake is called Lucifer) godfather with a heart-failure who is in charge of the idiotic decisions. Their planning of robbing the local post office needs to be seen to be believed: all of the crack heads gather around a poorly hand-drawn road map that looks like taken straight from the kindergarten. There is never the slightest doubt that this a Mario Bianchi movie so it goes without saying that all the sets and interiors look extremely filthy and shabby, they make you want to shower right away. Did I forget something? Maybe I’ve to add that my copy in German language is atrociously dubbed and was released on the SBS label under the monicker “Die Ungreifbaren”.

Stephen Grimes

Head of the cripples is a snake-obsessed (his snake is called Lucifer) godfather with a heart-failure who is in charge of the idiotic decisions.
Ha ha,the scene with Pino Mauro in the cemetary crypt trying to communicate with his eyes is hilarious.
Not a bad cast in this-Richard Harrison,Paola Senatore,Gabriele Tinti plus of course the usual Neapolitan regulars,great funky disco s/t as well.

Canisius

Nice poster!

Back to the film, other crazy scenes that come to mind:

1. Pino Mauro’s heart attack in the car and the way he is kept hidden almost like a zombie afterwards :-\
2. the hysterically bad choreographed fight featuring Tommaso Palladino, the walking moustache (yes, finally learned about his name, thanks to the Pollanet database!) at the bar where the German dubbing simply goes berserk with insults like “pink panther” or “pederast”…and then there is
3. the revenge action: smearing black shoe polish on the pillow...amazing!

There is more but let’s stop here for today…and yes the title theme is really really cool!

Stephen: can you shed some light on international tape releases out there?

Stephen Grimes

Stephen: can you shed some light on international tape releases out there?
I've got a very nice copy straight off the Danish vhs on Meteor Video which is Italian language with a runtime of 1:30.33,there's also the New Pentax tape which i haven't seen yet and the Mediaset/Italia 1 tv broadcast which seems to be the main version on trading lists.

Rogerio Ferraz

Nice one, Canisius! Always great to see Bianchi´s polizieschi finally getting some recognition!  :P

there's also the New Pentax tape which i haven't seen yet and the Mediaset/Italia 1 tv broadcast which seems to be the main version on trading lists.
That´s the copy I have - it runs 1:30:18. :D

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

The danish Meteor-release;

/D
That's a fantastic sleeve

why not stick it in the gallery :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture

Wow, so did the English-language title of DON'T TRUST THE MAFIA originate with this Italian-language video release, or do we think there was an actual English-language version that bore this name?

("I guappi non si toccano", as best as I can tell, transliterates to "You can't touch the wiseguys." Can any Italian speakers confirm this?)

Canisius

Rogerio Ferraz

("I guappi non si toccano", as best as I can tell, transliterates to "You can't touch the wiseguys." Can any Italian speakers confirm this?)
I reckon it's quite an accurate translation, Mike. I´m pretty sure Polla will be able to give a better answer in a short while, but I think that Guappi comes from Guapperia, which is the Neapolitan term to refer to the "mafiosi", right?

Stephen Grimes

Wow, so did the English-language title of DON'T TRUST THE MAFIA originate with this Italian-language video release, or do we think there was an actual English-language version that bore this name?
I think it's just a video re-title Mike.I'm almost sure this (and the other four Bianchi crime films) never had an English language dub prepared-though of course i'd love to be wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.