• 26 May 2018 - 00:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man / Uomini si nasce... (Ruggero Deodato, 1976)  (Read 39910 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Uomini si nasce poliziotti si muore

Here's one of Jonny's old reviews:

Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man (1976) (aka The Terminators)
aka Uomini si nasce poliziotti si muore

Dir. Ruggero Deodato

Starring Marc Porel, Ray Lovelock and Adolfo Celi.

Crime is so rife in Rome that a ‘Special Squad’ is set up by the Police to work undercover and bring down the crime lords. Only trouble is the recruitment process requires applicants to have a psychological profile identical to a criminals, step forward Tony and Fred (Ray Lovelock and Marc Porel). These two are like an 'X rated' Starsky & Hutch and carnage follows them around like cheap cologne. Working in plain clothes and seemingly allowed to do whatever they want they dish out their own version of justice i.e. if you do a crime and they catch you, be prepared for a good hiding or worse.
To set the scene we’re introduced to the pair as they witness a pair of thieves on a motorbike try and snatch a handbag from a lady in the street. They fail miserably and the woman is dragged along on her back as she won’t let go of her handbag. It’s only when she cracks her head on a fire hydrant that they stop the bike so they can kick her in the head and stamp on her stomach. As I said, Fred and Tony are on hand to apprehend them but the muggers flee off down the high street on their motorbike. Fred takes chase on his bike, with a superb and very long wheelie, while Tony steals the nearest bike and roars after them. A cracking bike chase ensues with the three bikes racing along at breakneck speeds doing more wheelies, riding over the tops of cars and jumping down sets of steps. Inevitably the crooks must be caught but not before they run over a blind mans guide dog, leaving the poor old sod stranded in the middle of the road calling out his pooches name, a crash, skid and bang later and the muggers are off their bike. One dies instantly, impaled on the handlebars, while the other one is dazed and bloodied but ok. Touchingly Fred makes him comfortable as he asks him his name... then snaps his neck! Less paper work apparently!
This is pretty much the standard for the whole film, cracking stuff indeed! Who needs a complicated plot when you can just ride along with these two as they dish out law and order? When they go to question the local mob boss’s girlfriend she ends up screwing them both! And willingly too! Not a bad days questioning if you ask me.
As you’d expect from director Ruggero Deodato there’s the requisite blood and guts, it’s not too over the top, with a few bloody gunshot wounds here, an eye gouged out there, but no chunk-busting cannibals eating entrails. Which is a good thing seeing as this isn’t a cannibal film.
Lovelock and Porel are on fine form and at their best here. They make a great team, a right pair of good looking bastards too. It's a shame this was Deodato's only attempt at the 'Polizia' genre as it would have been great to see these two back for more fun and games in a sequel.

Highly recommended.

Not currently available on DVD, which is a damn shame as this seems to be a favourite among fans of Italian Police films. I suspect it will get a release soon, unless there's some mysterious problem with the rights... Only UK release was on VFP (Pre-Cert)
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Live Like A Cop Die Like A Man (Ruggero Deodato, 1976)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 21:17 »

UOMINI SI NASCE POLIZIOTTI SI MUORE (1976) LIVE LIKE A COP, DIE LIKE A MAN

Marc Porel, Ray Lovelock, Adolfo Celi

Fred (porel) and Tony (Lovelock) are two young undercover cops whose specialty is excessive force or more accurate, kill first and never have to ask
questions later. They foil a robbery and piss off a crime lord, The Boss (Celi) who has their partner gunned down in front of the police station. The two
rogue policemen then go about breaking up his operations as well as going to his home and setting ablaze his guests vehicles. The two cops eventually have a hit put out on them and get the chance to dispatch more of the Boss's gang until a somewhat weak but surprise finale involving the superior of the twovigilante cops.

Ruggero Deodato's warm up before his notorious cannibal flick THE LAST CANNIBAL WORLD which led to much publicized scandal with the subsequent classic CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. Here Deodato, as usual, shows a keen eye for action and setting up shots. The many accusations that this is the nastiest of the POLIZIOTTESHI is a bit exagerrated. While there is numerous violent scenes and much nudity it seems a bit tame compared to Fulci's CONTRABAND with Fabio Testi. Possibly in lieu of the reception given CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST did this film garner its reputation.

One scene is according to Deodato, lost forever where one of the failed minions of the Boss has his eye gouged out and is summarily squashed underfoot in close up. All you see is the bad guy digging into the socket as it cuts away but the way Deodato describes the scene it was apparently shot almost verbatim in Tarantino's KILL BILL 2.

The two leads are fine although they are completely unsympathetic as they at times are more sadistic than the villains themselves! They both are at the same time arrogant and charming but when the time comes to dispatch crooks they become just as murderous. Marc Porel, a french actor is a dead ringer for Michael Pare and co-star/singer Lovelock contributes a couple of songs to the soundtrack. One thing I noticed and it is confirmed in the 40 minute documentary is the similarities to Porel and Lovelock to the American show STARSKY & HUTCH. One is blonde and the other dark haired as well as wearing similar clothing although Porel-lovelock ride a motorcycle. Lovelock makes mention of this stating that the show had yet to premiere on Italian TV but wondered if the producer had already seen it and incorporated it into the script.

The film was written by Fernando Di Leo who was already a well known director of Italian crime cinema with his Milieu trilogy that featured Henry Silva and
Woody Strode among others.

Deodato's then wife Sylvia Dionisio (as well as her sister; both very pretty) is on hand as well.

The movie is fine if a bit over-rated and has enough original elements to rise above other entries in this genre.

LANZETTA

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 23:12 »

I've just finished watching this movie  and was struck by the Starsky & Hutch similarities with regard to their appearance and the obvious very close bonding between the two cops.At one point,they even take turns bedding the same woman.Though undoutably both Porel and Lovelock possess some charm,with their cold detached criminal tendencies they aren't actually very likeable yet maybe that was the directors intention here.
However from the polizio's i've seen so far for leading characters neither cut it as well as the likes of Merli,Milian,Saxon,Silva,Testi ,Nero all of whom convince as charismatic hard men in the Dirty Harry tradition and for me Lovelock was more effective as the impressionable guy who was unfortunate to be taken under Milians wing in ALMOST HUMAN.
Anyway as regards the rest of the movie,its OK with the spectacular opening motorcycle chase easily being the highlight of the movies but unfortunately the finale is disappointingly one huge unsatisfactory anti-climax.I didn't even think it was that violent so i'm left to conclude that this movie is overated.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 23:17 »

I really like LIVE LIKE A COP, DIE LIKE A MAN and as I mentioned about how I wish that Martino had done more crime flicks, would love to have seen Deodato do more. LLACDLAM is really brutal for a crime flick and it's got the gorgeous Sylvia Dionisio in it.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 23:23 »

seeing as we're on the subject of Deodato's movie, heres my photo's from my holiday in Roma...

'Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man'...

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2007 - 23:38 »

I was literally around the corner from the piazza that can be seen during the first chase in the film.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 11:14 »

Beautiful locations. Do you know if Lenzi resides in Italy or not?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2007 - 11:49 »

I'm pretty sure he does, though I have no idea where.

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #8 on: 05 Aug 2007 - 20:34 »

They foil a robbery and piss off a crime lord, The Boss (Celi) who has their partner gunned down in front of the police station.
The crime boss is actually played by Renato Salvatori,he goes by the name of Pasquini aka BB.
Adolfo Celi plays the head of the Special Squad that Porel and Lovelock are assigned to.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #9 on: 05 Aug 2007 - 20:37 »

Why Lenzi?

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #10 on: 05 Aug 2007 - 20:44 »

Why Lenzi?

Umberto Lenzi lives in Rome as far as I know.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #11 on: 05 Aug 2007 - 20:49 »

Why Lenzi?
Umberto Lenzi lives in Rome as far as I know.
What i meant was why Lenzi was Lenzi suddenly mentioned?

Stephen Grimes

I think what Tanzi meant was why Lenzi's name suddenly popped up in a thread on Deodato's film which has no connecton to him.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato

I think what Tanzi meant was why Lenzi's name suddenly popped up in a thread on Deodato's film which has no connecton to him.
That's what i meant, maybe i didn't explain too good  ???

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Pretty much everyone in the Italian film industry lives in Rome. If you're planning a trip out there on the basis of meeting anyone you'd be best advised to give Jay a shout. He's the man in the know.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 20 queries.