• 06 Jul 2020 - 12:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Grand Duel / Il Grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)  (Read 7783 times)

Gary B.

Finally saw this one via the Wild East disc, and was incredibly surprised at how good it was.  I've had the soundtrack for a few years, and always wondered about the film itself, and it totally lived up to my expectations.  Some really great villains and familiar faces, including Lee Van Cleef in a great performance as his usual cool, bad-ass character made this one extremely enjoyable.  I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing him play this same role over and over...!

I'm wondering if this Wild East version is cut though...  [spoiler]The scene where the pock-marked brother guns down the old man outside of the saloon differs from what is shown on the trailer for the film.  In the trailer there are additional clips of the old man suffering and bloody who then places his bloody hand onto the brother's white suit leaving a bloody handprint.  Was this scene ever in the film, or was it just in the trailer?[/spoiler]

MikeMalloy

• Special Cop In Action
  • Soon to be a Major Motion Picture
Re: The Grand Duel / Il Grande duello (Giancarlo Santi, 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2009 - 19:42 »

The full version of the scene you mention is, I'm told, in the cut called something like "The Big Showdown." (Is that the title used in the trailer, Gary?)

Totally agree that this is a GREAT spaghetti, with a GREAT world-weary performance by Van Cleef. Considering how the genre had fallen into parody by the time it was made, it's amazing how deadly serious the film is.

My only gripe is how low-budget the film is. Did anybody else notice how the production didn't seem to have any holsters? Guns are tucked in pants (or even just held in the air, in one case!) in the build-ups towards gun duels.

Sundance

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2009 - 20:43 »

Wild East disc has over 50 cuts compared to Toppic VHS from Germany. I have gone through the VHS and DVD side by side frame by frame, but unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my notes somewhere, and for whatever reason didn't add them to my site before that. ??? I have screenshots from (at least almost) all the cuts but it has been couple of years since I took them so I can't remember everything for certain. :-*

If I remember correctly, a lot of the cuts are only some seconds long (if even that) extentions to already existing scenes. When the white dressed baddie is using the machine gun we see more of him, or the targets falling down. When they are beating Philipp under the waterfall there's couple of more shots.
Anyways most of the stuff doesn't really add anything important.... and at least one scene I think worked better shorter. The one where LVC taps the bottle with his fingers and then Philipp jumps out of the building. WE disc has him jump out right when LVC taps the bottle for a third time, yet the version on Toppic VHS waits for a second or two after (we just see LVC's fingers rest on the bottle) that before going into action.

The scene Gary mentioned in his spoiler is in the version on the VHS though and I'd say that is a big thing to be missing. Maybe it is on the 'The Big Showdown' version? But it wouldn't surprise me if it has always been missing from English language prints (and maybe all the other cut parts as well?).

There are nine screenshots (taken by The Killer who compared the Japanese disc and Toppic VHS) at the bottom of the page here http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/grandduel.php from some of the early cuts. Can't remember if they all are also missing from the WE disc but probably so, at least the gun is.

Gary B.

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2009 - 00:17 »

My only gripe is how low-budget the film is. Did anybody else notice how the production didn't seem to have any holsters? Guns are tucked in pants (or even just held in the air, in one case!) in the build-ups towards gun duels.
Ha, good point...I didn't really think about that until you mentioned it!  I guess the performances/soundtrack were so well done that the subtleties of budget constraints never entered my mind.
 :-X

and thanks, Sundance, for the information.  I have your website bookmarked and reference it all the time!  Glad to see you posting here. 

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2009 - 07:44 »

I was never too impressed by this one - a solid genre entry, but nothing remarkable.

One thing I did like was the black and white used in the steam-train flashbacks, very nice.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 17:11 »

Coming in May from Blue Underground: http://www.blue-underground.com/product.php?product=235
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 18:08 »

Coming in May from Blue Underground: http://www.blue-underground.com/product.php?product=235
I was reading about this on the Spaghetti Western forum. There's already a Mill Creek one which is pretty decent, the BU one will probably end up looking better though (which can only be a good thing) but I think it would have been better to put out one not already on Blu.  i.e. Hurry up with fucking Companeros!  :-\

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Graham

• One Just Man
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 18:12 »

Doubt I'll bother, as the Mill Creek blu is pretty decent, although I recall having a few audio sync issues with it (but it seems nobody else had this problem).

Graham

• One Just Man
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 18:13 »

Hurry up with fucking Companeros!  :-

x2

Graham

• One Just Man
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 18:17 »

Thinking about it, what are BU doing?! The Grand Duel / Keoma blu is only $4.92 on Amazon!

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 18:40 »

Thinking about it, what are BU doing?! The Grand Duel / Keoma blu is only $4.92 on Amazon!
Even cheaper on dvdpacific, but I still didn't get my copy.  :-[

Btw, that isn't a blue underground release, but a release by bootleg-label Mill Creek, but it's supposed to be good.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 19:53 »

They're asking why Blue Underground are releasing it when there is already a cheap, extant release by Mill Creek.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 19:56 »

They're asking why Blue Underground are releasing it when there is already a cheap, extant release by Mill Creek.
Right... didn't read back far enough.  ???

WayneSmith

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 20:02 »

The Blue Underground release is a DVD though.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2013 - 20:07 »

The Blue Underground release is a DVD though.
I didn't even look at the link  :-\

I saw it here, looks like chameleon was told wrong info.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 34 queries.