• 15 Aug 2022 - 13:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Protagonisti / The Protagonists (Marcello Fondato ,1968)  (Read 4984 times)

Stephen Grimes

Sardinian kidnap drama with a good cast including Lou Castel,Luigi Pistilli,Sylva Koscina and Jean Sorel,i've got a nice lbx copy of the Italian 'Sardegna Cinema' vhs (runtime-1h 39m) but according to the IMDB there was also an English language version prepared which i'd really like to see.Has anyone seen or know about any other video releases?

mattblake

'Fraid not. I'd never even heard of it until recently...

Paul Hutchings

I've only seen I PROTAGONISTI in Italian but I still found it fascinating. I loved the idea of tourists visiting Sardinian bandits on some kind of adventure holiday - this is how I've interpreted the plot anyhow. Of course, it starts getting a bit too dangerous for them and I love how their spirit of adventure evaporates when the tourists start to see dead bodies of bandits and soldiers being carried away. The main bandit in I PROTAGONISTI has the same kind of ego (enjoying the limelight of his infamy) as the bandit in the other Sardinian based movie THE TOUGH AND THE MIGHTY (1969) by Carlo Lizzani.

Stephen Grimes

There's a few more of these Sardinian bandit/kidnap dramas worth checking out including the excellent PELLE DI BANDITO (very similar storyline to Lizzani's BARBAGIA) and DOVE VOLANO I CORVI D'ARGENTO both of which were directed by Piero Livi.I also recently got a copy of BANDITI A ORGOSOLO from 1961 which considering its small budget looks amazing and apparently won an award at the Venice Film Festival.

mattblake

And, of course, Sardinia Kidnapped, which is a great film that's begging out for a decent release...

Paul Hutchings

I have a soft spot for movies set in Sardinia - maybe even more so than those set in Sicily. Ones mentioned like SARDINIA KIDNAPPED and BANDITI A ORGOSOLO are really good. I've never been able to find a copy of PELLE DI BANDITO, and I would love to see it, but DOVE VOLANO I CORVI D'ARGENTO was a little too laid back for me. A more recent Sardinian set movie I saw called LA DESTINAZIONE (2003) is also a slight disappointment. It's about a young Carabiniere who is sent to a small town in Sardinia and gets embroiled in a case in which a man is murdered by bandits. Naturally, as is usually the case with this type of film, the murder was witnessed by a young boy. It's a little bit too slow really but not terrible.

Stephen Grimes

I've never been able to find a copy of PELLE DI BANDITO, and I would love to see it
I've got a lovely copy straight off the Sardegna Cinema vhs you can have,a nice upgrade from the torrent which was doing the rounds for awhile.

Paul Hutchings

Thanks Stephen, I would really appreciate that. Perhaps we can contact each other by e-mail. I have a huge trade list myself and I'm sure that I have stuff that you're looking for.

Stephen Grimes

DOVE VOLANO I CORVI D'ARGENTO was a little too laid back for me.
Got the widescreen tv broadcast of this from the Super 3 channel which looks pretty good,there's also a Greek vhs which i'd like to see for a comparison.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.