• 23 Oct 2020 - 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10,000 dollari per un massacro (Romolo Guerrieri, 1967)  (Read 3349 times)

prospero

watched this one last night and couldn't believe how good it was!
Guerrieri makes wonderful use of the amazing scope photography, and the pristine image quality of the DVD also helps. All the actors give great performances and wear heavy loads of makeup - especially Camaso, who almost looks like he's Chinese! Camaso is always interesting to watch, and Garko, Sancho and Nusciak are in top form, too. And if you haven't seen Ermelinda De Felice in the role of Sancho's wife, you've seen nothing!
The movie is wonderfully bizarre, with the tone ranging from weird to sentimental and back to weird. Halfway through, it mutates into a brilliant example of gothic western, complete with a deserted, windswept town, strange soundeffects, howling wind and madness lurking behind every door. One scene even bore an uncanny resemblance to the expressionist classic Caligari from 1919. It may be a coincidence, but it's a sure indication of the film's stylistic nature.
Nora Orladi's score is great, too. And as if all this wasn't enough, the movie boasts a gay subtext which to ignore you'd have to bee stone-blind.
The whole thing ends on a wonderfully kitschy note, with Garko riding off into the sunset, while Orladi's score soars for the last time with a bittersweet tune you'll be humming for hours.
If you like your westerns ambivalent and slightly weird, give this one a try.

mattblake

Re: 10,000 dollari per un massacro (Romolo Guerrieri, 1967)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2009 - 11:20 »

Superb western.  Guerrieri is a very under-rated director, and this is his best western (although Johnny Yuma is pretty handy as well)

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009 - 20:28 »

I thought this film was one of the genre's best. Its companion piece Per 100,000 Dollari ti Ammazzo is also absolutely worth seeing.

For anyone who doesn't have them, they are both in Koch Media's Django Boxset with English subs for Italian audio.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

prospero

« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2009 - 10:10 »

For anyone who doesn't have them, they are both in Koch Media's Django Boxset with English subs for Italian audio.

got the box set yesterday, looks fantastic. nice soundtrack cd, too, though the vocal version of the them from "10,000 dollari" is sadly missing! Gianni Garko looks amazing in the interview, considering his age!

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2009 - 07:27 »

got the box set yesterday, looks fantastic. nice soundtrack cd, too, though the vocal version of the them from "10,000 dollari" is sadly missing! Gianni Garko looks amazing in the interview, considering his age!

I picked up the last one Tony at Xploited had, and it arrived Saturday.  Finally watched 10,000 dollari per un massacro last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Quite gothic and weird, my kind of film.  Had forgotten that Camaso (sad life) was Volonte's bro, till Garko discussed in the interview on the disc.   As Prospero notes  Ermelinda De Felice 's performance has to be seen to be believed (she's quite the dancer  :-*).  Orlandi's score, with it's church bells and musical saw, adds a a familiar - yet wonderfully odd - atmosphere to the proceedings.

Excellent film!  ::)
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Canisius

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2009 - 21:49 »

This is an interesting title and I need to check it out! :)

Canisius

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2009 - 21:30 »

Nice, my copy is on the way, can't wait! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 29 queries.