• 27 May 2019 - 00:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Riding Trilogy (Julian Jarrold/James Marsh/Anand Tucker, 2009)  (Read 10316 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

1974 (Julian Jarrold, 2009)
1980 (James Marsh, 2009)
1983 (Anand Tucker, 2009)

This three film adaptation of David Peace's Red Riding Quartet (the makers had to dump 1977 due to budgetary constraints) kicked off on Channel Four last night. The first film, directed by Julian Jarrold – KINKY BOOTS, BECOMING JANE, was a slow-burning and novelistic affair, but livened somewhat as it progressed. Starts with a press conference after a young girl goes missing before focusing on an investigation carried out by a young journalist and the bureaucracy and corruption of the Yorkshire police. This had a great cast—including Sean Bean, Warren Clarke, Rebecca Hall and Peter Mullan—the attention to period detail was great and bodes well for next weeks film, 1980, which concentrates on the events surrounding the Yorkshire Ripper case. Paddy Considine (DEAD MAN'S SHOES) stars and documentary filmmaker James Marsh (MAN ON WIRE directs). 1980 follows the week after and is directed by Anand Tucker (SHOPGIRL, HILARY AND JACKIE).

Incidentally, the three films are being released by Optimum as a box set on 13th April.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Loved last nights episode, that weaselly looking copper is a scary motherfucker isn't he? The one who chucked that jounalist out of the van after torturing him...

Looking forward to part 2 next week.  :'(
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I knew you would dig this!  :-\

Loved last nights episode, that weaselly looking copper is a scary motherfucker isn't he? The one who chucked that jounalist out of the van after torturing him...

He was featured quite prominently in the trailer for next week's film leading me to believe he's going to have a much more significant role. That sequence was mesmerising, BTW - I read a review in the Metro this morning: they were really indifferent about the film and hated that scene.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

That sequence was mesmerising, BTW - I read a review in the Metro this morning: they were really indifferent about the film and hated that scene.

I really was on the ege of my seat when he had the gun to the back of that guys head, just couldn't believe what was going on. It was nuts. I had no idea going in that each story was separate and figured the journo would be a continuing character, I was pretty much floored by how he ended up.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

That sequence was mesmerising, BTW - I read a review in the Metro this morning: they were really indifferent about the film and hated that scene.

I really was on the ege of my seat when he had the gun to the back of that guys head, just couldn't believe what was going on. It was nuts. I had no idea going in that each story was separate and figured the journo would be a continuing character, I was pretty much floored by how he ended up.

SPOILER!

I know, it was a shock to me too.

The scene that followed the one where he was chucked out of the van where he entered Sean Bean's club, had a direct lift from GOODFELLAS, did you notice it? He marches straight in, whacks a guy in the face with the revolver before turning around and pointing it at the bystanders.

The Metro didn't like the way in which the makers chose to only portray the police in a negative light(!) I suppose the seventies wasa time when there was no injustice and that the police weren't partial to setting folk up to close a case  :-\ WTF does the Metro know, anyway.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

WTF does the Metro know, anyway.

Yeah, bollocks to them. Plus they're a southern paper what the hell do they knw about stuff that goes on up North, eh?  :-\

Didn't really think about GOODFELLAS, well I did a little bit bit but I always do when people get hit in the face with revolvers as it reminds me of the scene where Liotta pummels that guy outside his house on his driveway.

Mart85

Watched it last night and thought it was excellent stuff.  I was gripped throughout.  Sean Bean was a menacing fucker in this wasn't he?  The bit where he literally had the young journalist by the balls was rough.  The swearing in it was class as well with some nice use of the c word on TV.  ::)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

The swearing in it was class as well with some nice use of the c word on TV.  ::)

Congrats, Mart! You know exactly what to say to pique Aarron's interest in something.  :-\

Mart85

I reckon they should stick that quote on the front of the DVD cover then.  :-\

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

I reckon they should stick that quote on the front of the DVD cover then.  :-\

Yeah, just think of how many other Chelsea fans will buy it.

Mart85

:-\

Also I was gonna say me thinks the reviewer in Metro should watch Heartbeat if the negative representation of the Yorkshire constabulary upset him / her.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"

:-\

Also I was gonna say me thinks the reviewer in Metro should watch Heartbeat if the negative representation of the Yorkshire constabulary upset him / her.

There was a reference to Heartbeat in the review too.

It really bugs me when you see dismissive comments targetting something that clearly had a lot of care and thought put into its creation.

Mart85

I hear you Paul.  Sure if they don't like it, they don't like it but it seems to me this one is talking out his arse.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action

I had mixed feelings about this one. It had a strong cast, it was well shot and the attention to period detail was impressive, but while it had its moments the story didn't really grab me and the lead didn't quite feel right... After a while it started to remind me of GET CARTER and began to suffer by comparison. And then I started thinking about James Ellroy and his LA Quartet, and just how well those stories are plotted... It was well worth watching, even if the ending wasn't all that, but I get the feeling that now the characters are established with a bit of history behind them the next episode is where it's all really going to move up a gear.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload

Another stunning episode last night, faultless cast and the story continues to deliver punches to the stomach at the end of each episode.

If anyone hasn't seen these in order I'd strongly suggest not watching next weeks episode and start from the beginning as knowing the continuity is essential.

I was particularly taken by the cinematography in last nights episode, I don't think I've seen a 'scope (2.35:1) ratio 'made for TV' program before. And the ratio wasn't just used as a gimmick, it was well used.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.