• 27 Jun 2022 - 15:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man on Fire (Elie Chouraqui, 1987)  (Read 2852 times)

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Man on Fire (Elie Chouraqui, 1987)
« on: 07 Mar 2009 - 14:21 »

After years of trying to track this down I finally got to watch this last night and was quite impressed by it.  It is much grittier that Tony Scott's remake and the Italian setting certainly adds to film.  In some ways it did remind me of a poliziesco with its predominately Italian cast, child kidnapping plot and violent set pieces.  It would not be hard to think of Henry Silva, Franco Nero or even Milian in the role of Creasy which is admirably played by the underrated Scott Glenn.  Unfortunately, the television rip I tracked down is missing some of the violence and I could have sworn that one of the final key scenes was missing some footage.  Any other admirers of this one?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Man on Fire (Elie Chouraqui, 1987)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2009 - 15:34 »

I've not seen this, Oli but read that Tony Scott lobbied hard to direct this in the daly eighties but, having only made the distinctly uncommercial THE HUNGER, was passed over. I'm a huge fan of the remake: one of the best American thrillers of recent years, IMO.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2009 - 16:54 »

That's correct, apparently they did not trust him enough based on his lack of experience.  I really need to see the remake again, I am tempted by the UK Blu-Ray release. 

Let me know if you want a copy Paul to add to your famous to watch pile.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2009 - 12:32 »

That's correct, apparently they did not trust him enough based on his lack of experience.  I really need to see the remake again, I am tempted by the UK Blu-Ray release. 

Let me know if you want a copy Paul to add to your famous to watch pile.

That would be cool, Oli.

Make sure you do check out Scott's remake. It's a great revenge flick. The UK Blu-ray's supposed to be quite nice and has all the extras from the double disc DVD release too.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.