• 27 Jan 2021 - 02:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rainbow (1989, Ken Russell)  (Read 2756 times)

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
The Rainbow (1989, Ken Russell)
« on: 16 Mar 2009 - 13:18 »

Is there any difference between the 2007 LionsGate UK and 2001 Columbia Tri-Star DVDs?

THE RAINBOW was part of a multi-picture deal between Ken Russell and Vestron Pictures that also resulted in GOTHIC, LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, and SALOME'S LAST DANCE.

I saw the film on tape long ago and don't really remember much about it.  I liked WOMEN IN LOVE.

There was apparently also a TV adaptation of THE RAINBOW.  Anyone seen it?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: The Rainbow (1989, Ken Russell)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2009 - 14:08 »

Should be exactly the same and utilise the same master, mate.

The Rainbow, along with a good few others (Young Guns, Princess Bride, etc) were originally released in the UK by Vestron (which later became First Independent. They owned the rights to these films but had a licencing deal with Columbia/TriStar for the DVD releases. At some point Lionsgate purchased the Vestorn catalogue and when Columbia/TriStar's rights ran out Lionsgate rereleased them. Some have been re-issued as Special Editions but others are exactly the same as the versions previously released by Columbia/TriStar.  :-X
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2009 - 14:18 »

It's probably the same transfer.

Back in the Artisan days, LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM and SALOME'S LAST DANCE got the special edition treatment in the US while GOTHIC got two barebones releases.  THE RAINBOW went unreleased on disc in the US.

It does not seem like all of Vestron's holdings went to Columbia in the UK as GOTHIC was put out by MGM abroad (though I don't recall the UK disc having a Vestron logo).

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2009 - 14:27 »

While Lair Of The White Worm and The Rainbow were both released by Vestron here in the UK, Gothic was released by Virgin. I have no idea whether or not Vestron had a hand in financing these films but if they dodn't, it may be that they had acquired them for a lengthy licencing period.

I think Salome's Last Dance may have been released here by Cannon, but am not 100% sure of this.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2009 - 15:11 »

I think funding for the Vestron/Russell films came from Vestron's American arm (after the performance of Russell's New World production CRIMES OF PASSION).

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2009 - 15:12 »

That would explain why they remained in First Independent's possession for such a long time  :-X

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2009 - 04:40 »

Gothic was released by Virgin.

Virgin also released the soundtrack LP/CD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.