• 24 Oct 2020 - 09:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pirate Bay found Guilty!  (Read 2324 times)

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
The Pirate Bay found Guilty!
« on: 17 Apr 2009 - 09:55 »

I posted this news earlier over at my own forum, so here it is again...

Early rumours are that the overly smug founders of The Pirate Bay have lost their case.

If this is the case then expect huge ramifications for illegal torrent sites and in particular sharers and downloaders.

Edit - my source was correct, the rumours are true. Fines and a prison sentence for each of the guys. They'll appeal now so this will take ages.

Pirate Bay fileshare four guilty, get year in jail

IFPI hails Pirate Bay guilty verdict

4 convicted in Pirate Bay file-sharing trial

Pirate Bay trial verdict: Guilty and going to jail

Discuss...
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Zarith

Re: The Pirate Bay found Guilty!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 10:41 »

I think it's a good decision. These guys deserve a little   >:(  :)

Creating a platform to share files is one thing. Promoting illegal download is another...

What people fail to understand is that these sites are not made by cool anarchist/hippies against consumerism, but by business man. Nasty ones.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 10:45 »

Discuss...

I'm dead busy at the moment so all I'll say for now is...

:P

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 10:48 »

As this was a test case, other torrent sites will now be quaking in their boots.
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Canisius

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 14:22 »

Interesting case...speaking of music: I download mp3s from time to time but could live without them! I prefer originals and have bought 1000 + albums over the past 16 years so I am a little, let's call it "old-fashioned"... >:(

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 17:31 »

It's been on the radio several times today.

I'm against this sort of thing for stuff that's available or on the cinema but if it's some old 70's thing that is near impossible to find i don't see a problem.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 17:34 »

I'm against this sort of thing for stuff that's available or on the cinema but if it's some old 70's thing that is near impossible to find i don't see a problem.

Exactly my feelings too. Just wish the guys who ran these sites saw it the same way.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 17:38 »

That's pretty much how I feel about it.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2009 - 23:00 »

It's been on the radio several times today.

I also share your views Tanzi... most definetely.

I did say (about a month ago) that I expected this to be the outcome - this is meant to be the 'test case' that will put pressure on torrent sites - however, what is perhaps more remarkable is that the piratebay is still up and that the judge presiding over the case didn't/hasn't asked for it to be shut down.

Should they get a year in the chokey for file sharing? No... I don't think that's fair.

On the other hand - Carl Lundstrom getting a year behind bars is a more than welcome decision for me. Most websites refuse to even mention it, but he is one of the key movers in what is, essentially, the Swedish equivalent of the the UK's BNP. If he'd been given ten years I'd have been happier:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/17/piratebay_neonazi_ok/

What's next? I think this article (also from the register) highlights what is about to happen next:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/17/universal_digital_britain/

Right now, though, I'm honestly thinking it may well be too little - too late. Sure, they can shut down the Pirate Bay but there are 1000's of sites just like it - and that's just torrents. People forget that torrents are essentially the bottom of the barrel when it comes to warez on the web... The actual 'warez scene' (if we can call it that) has been around far, far longer than torrents have been around, and has operated reasonably untouched by the authorities for well over 20 years now.

Piracy will only disappear when peoples attitudes change - not before.

"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

Sundance

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2009 - 10:08 »

I'm not so sure the Swedish law actually supports putting these guys to prison and shutting down piratebay, so it woulnd't surprise me if the verdict is different once the higher court makes their decision. I'm not exactly sure how the district court(?) in Sweden works but if it is the same as in Finland, then this decision was mostly made by people who aren't experts in the laws (why?!  ;D ) and once the case goes to the court of appeal, then it will be judged by people who are more trained and thus quite often the decisions change, not necessarily from guilty to not guilty or the other way around, but still.

One recent case I remember is Finland's prime minister vs his ex-girlfriend (some stupid little thing concerning her book, freedom of speech issues, whatever, I wasnt really interested)... the district court found her not guilty and I think many law experts said it would change in the court of appeal, which it did.

Bogan The Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2009 - 21:47 »

I'm happy for ultra rare stuff - i.e stuff that isn't out on legit DVD - to be passed around somewhat, but seeing legit DVD companies get milked in the same way has been pretty shitty.  Over at Criterionforum.org, the guy who runs Masters of Cinema in the UK posted how he'd jumped on a filesharing forum and asked if they could please not pirate his companies movies, with a polite note as to how it was affecting them.  The response from the warez folk was blunt and was used by the MoC guy as the header on his posted thread:  "Fuck you, I got your movie for free, cumstain!"

The world of boots and bootlegging has had its benefits for me, reaching back to the VHS days when various traders were chucking swap lists ads in the back of SAMHAIN magazine, but it's currently way out of control and the attitudes of most young'uns I meet don't suggest that there's a big hope of pushing things back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.