• 27 Jan 2021 - 03:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)  (Read 1810 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
« on: 19 Apr 2009 - 22:15 »

I recently picked up the Warner dvd of THE HAUNTING.

I lent it to my mum to watch and she said it's shorter that the one she saw on tv. She said there was a scene with a ghostly voice repeating "Eleanor,Eleanor" when she was walking down hall (or running, she said it's al ong time since she last saw it) which was shown on tv when it aired.

I checked the imdb and it's says some stuff about the original cut of the film but this is not mentioned.

I would be grateful for any information as it is bugging me now.

This is what it did say on the imdb though:

Alternate versions for
The Haunting (1963)

* Original cut of movie (shown 24/9/03 at Filmhouse, Edinburgh) has several differences from the general release print -
          o Alternate opening with voice-over by the Mrs Sannerson character in place of the Markway monologue.The titles prior to this scene are slightly different. The 'History of Hill house' scene continues into the meeting with Mrs Sannerson and Markway but in this version, it is Sannerson who is doing most of talking.
          o The following scene from the general release print of Markway listing his subjects on a blackboard is missing. In it's place is a scene where Theo throws her lover out her appartment and, next to a photo of her lover, writes "I Hate You!" on a mirror in lipstick, looks at her reflection and mutters "I hate you too...". She then receives her invitation from Markway. This is delivered to her by her landlady how requires the excess postage to be paid. Theo already knows this is to be paid and there is humourous exchange concerning her ESP or her 'gift'.
          o There are several extened scenes involving Eleanor's 'inner thoughts' - most of which tie into her thoughts on her possible relationship with Markway. The scene showing her travelling to Hill house is extended with more 'inner monlogue' material including a couple of shots of her turning onto 'route 238' and commenting on "Journey's end in lovers meeting...".
          o The Morning/Harp scene runs longer and contains more dialogue from both Eleanor and Markway. This print had a title card prior to the MGM logo - "This print is on loan from the National Film and Television Archive"

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009 - 09:27 »

No idea about the alternate version, would be nice to track down a copy though.

A group of us stayed at the house used in the film a few years ago, we went down the day after my wife and I got married. It's a really cool hotel these days...

Here's a couple of pics I took.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
Re: The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2009 - 10:40 »

I recall reading that the early Theo scene was cut to make her lesbianism more ambiguous.

The Ettington Park location showed up again as Ian Bannen's residence in Disney's WATCHER IN THE WOODS and early on in Clint Eastwood's WHITE HUNTER, BLACK HEART (the pic about the making of THE AFRICAN QUEEN).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.