• 17 Jan 2020 - 13:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Cox and Moviedrome  (Read 1831 times)

Wes

Alex Cox and Moviedrome
« on: 23 Apr 2009 - 20:06 »

Anyone remember Alex Cox and his BBC2 series Moviedrome from the early 90's ?

I mentioned Moviedrome on another post earlier, and by a strange twist of fate, I found myself reading thru an old Empire (June 1994) over a cup of tea when I spotted a feature on Moviedrome in the TV listings...

Moviedrome was a sort of film school during my teenage years - it was where I discovered films like Godard's Weekend, Performance, Bergman's The Silence , and the hard-to-see Dennis Hopper film, Tracks. Of course Cox's intros were the icing on the cake, his love for cult cinema was infectious and inspiring....

The Empire article goes thru the '94 season with comments on each of the films in the program - they are: Andromeda Strain, Out of the Past / Build My Gallows High, Carnal Knowledge, Django Kill, The Harder They Come, Girl On A Motorcycle, Last Embrace, Rope, Salvador, Strange Holiday, Talk Radio, To Sleep With Anger / Killer of Sheep and White Heat...

Just as a nod to another thread about Cox's forthcoming SW book, here's what he said about Django Kill:

This is one of my personal selections. I first saw it at the Scala Cinema, Lime Street, Liverpool. A totally bizarre film with a very odd gay subtext. Its violent but its the just sheer amount, randomness and insanity of the violence that's amazing. There is also an interesting editing stategy and one shot is even put in upside-down...

unclefred

Re: Alex Cox and Moviedrome
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2009 - 21:14 »

Djanco Kill is one weird spaghetti, that's for sure, I love the james Bond segment near the end with the molten gold covering the nemesis!

Mark (UK)

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2009 - 22:46 »

Yeah, I remember Moviedrome, even if the films weren't always brilliant, I always enjoyed Alex Cox's intro's.
Some of the intro's can be found on Youtube.
Also, this guy has done a list of all the films shown (can't guarantee it;s 100% accurate). http://www.geocities.com/kurtodrome/drome.html

Wicker Man Intro

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2009 - 23:16 »

Djanco Kill is one weird spaghetti, that's for sure, I love the james Bond segment near the end with the molten gold covering the nemesis!
I remember when Django Kill was on, it was the cut version but Cox showed the uncut scenes in his bit before (or after) the film, i used to cherish the vhs i recorded this onto!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2009 - 06:13 »

I've still got the booklet for the first season that you could send off to the BBC for. I'll have to dig it out, it's in the attic somewhere.

Edit : you can actually download the booklets for the first two seasons from Alex Cox's website :-
http://www.alexcox.com/freestuff.htm
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Wes

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2009 - 06:57 »

Edit : you can actually download the booklets for the first two seasons from Alex Cox's website :-
http://www.alexcox.com/freestuff.htm

Amazing find Kev, thanks a million !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.