• 23 Jul 2019 - 09:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gone to Earth (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1950)  (Read 1440 times)

prospero

I've just watched the excellent DVD of Powell & Pressburgers "Gone to Earth" starring Jennifer Jones.
It's an amazingly beautiful movie with a stunning performance by Jones. The photography is reminiscent of "Black Narcissus" (Jack Cardiff R.i.P.), although it was provided by Christopher Challis, who'd also photographed Arabesque and Powells' own Tales of Hoffmann.
The DVD from Fremantle is a delight - pristine image quality, interesting extras, and it's currently dead cheap at amazon.

the funny thing is that in the movie, Jennifer Jones looks a LOT like Kate Bush. I kind of expected her to burst into "Wuthering Heights" at any minute.....

Wes

Re: "Gone to Earth" by Powell & Pressburger
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2009 - 19:02 »

Hey Prospero, thanks for the nod about Gone To Earth, I'll pick this up as soon as I post this. I watched Blimp a few weeks ago and totally loved it, P & P were definitely masters. All their films have a kind of other-worldliness to them that I love... I'll grab Tales of Hoffman as well before over DVDPacific - there's a nice Criterion sale over there....

prospero

Re: "Gone to Earth" by Powell & Pressburger
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2009 - 08:21 »

Hey Prospero, thanks for the nod about Gone To Earth, I'll pick this up as soon as I post this. I watched Blimp a few weeks ago and totally loved it, P & P were definitely masters. All their films have a kind of other-worldliness to them that I love... I'll grab Tales of Hoffman as well before over DVDPacific - there's a nice Criterion sale over there....
hey Wes,
nice to see it's appreaciated!
 :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 32 queries.