• 22 Oct 2020 - 00:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: W Django! (Eduardo Mulargia 1972)  (Read 4892 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

W Django! (Eduardo Mulargia 1972)
« on: 08 Jul 2007 - 15:22 »

W DJANGO!- 1972

Anthony Steffen, Stellio Candelli

A woman is raped and murdered by a gang of thugs. The bounty hunter Django, the woman's husband, goes after the men responsible for her death. He frees a Mexican bandit about to be hanged. Turns out the bandit knows who the men are and where they can be found. The two form an alliance of sorts to bring down the bad guys. There's also a subplot about a sympathetic bartender whose wife is openly having an affair with one of the hoods that have taken over the town.

Steffen is really spot on here. This is my favorite film of his that I've seen. Steffen plays Django as a most sophisticated gunslinger. He constantly has the upperhand over his adversaries and sometimes it's quite ingeniously done. Other times it's a bit unbelievable but the film never quite takes itself too seriously often having light comedy sprinkled about the film.

Django at first believes the Mexican was there that night when his wife was killed but evidence shows he was still in prison on that night. Three men remain and they all are well off financially. One of them is even a Major. There is a rather humorous plot device involving a wagon load of rifles that the villains want to get ahold of. Several times Django obtains the wagon only to lose it again moments later. But even when the villains manage to gain the upper hand, Django has already done something to make sure the odds remain in his favor.

Directed with assured flair by Eduardo Mulargia who also directed the dismal BROTHER OUTLAW and SHANGO which I have yet to see. A most underrated or seldom discussed movie, Mulargia possesses a professional hand this time. Much better than I thought it was going to be, W DJANGO! (What's the W stand for?) is one of the better DJANGO "sequels" and one of the most likeable Steffen roles.

Very action oriented, the film moves along at a fair clip and although the ending is telegraphed early on, the character of Django is so cool and sure of everything he does, Steffen, for once keeps your attention the duration of the picture. A very good time is to be had here. This release from New Entertainment is uncut although I don't know what was cut from other releases. This disc has an english track and has been beautifully remastered.

LANZETTA

Re: W Django! (Eduardo Mulargia 1972)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 15:28 »

I've got a dreadful print of this but its still one of the best and most enjoyable Anthony Steffen sw's.I love the humour including the wry smile on Django's face when he sees the naked painting of the barmaid,hanging up behind the woman herself. ;D

Mart85

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 15:29 »

Yeah an entertaining spaghetti western with nice score by Umiliani. Carranza's last line is class:  ''Oh shit''.

The Hunchback

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:42 »

Yeah an entertaining spaghetti western with nice score by Umiliani. Carranza's last line is class:  ''Oh shit''.

I think I missed this as my copy only has Italian audio and I'm forced to read English subs which apparently omits this obscenity.

I do know a bit of Italian and I'm almost sure there is quite a bit of fowl language throughout (which was more prominant in the genre by that time, the early 70's).
I just don't recall that final line.

By the way, now that I'm talking about my dvd, STAY AWAY FROM THE SHITTY DAGORED RELEASE.
Awful print and cuts galore!

That being said, it's one of the few Steffen westerns I really enjoy and deserves to be on anybodies 80% list.
The only drawback to this film is it doesn't know what it wants to be sometimes. At times it's dark and gritty and others it is comical.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:46 »

Well, the humor is spread out. If the film was funny for long stretches and serious for long stretches than I could see where that would be valid.

The Hunchback

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:48 »

Well, the humor is spread out. If the film was funny for long stretches and serious for long stretches than I could see where that would be valid.

I would have to see it again as I do remember this being the case.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:51 »

No, the humor is very minor and never made me forget I was watching a serious movie. There are bits of humor in many of Eastwood's serious movies as well but it never confuses as to what it is you are watching.

The Hunchback

« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:54 »

No, the humor is very minor and never made me forget I was watching a serious movie.

I wouldn't call that, ridiculously drawn out, bed pulling scene "minor".

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 21:58 »

What was drawn out about it? The DOLLARS films feature goofy bits of comedy as well and there is nothing confusing about what the film is.

You made this comment about W DJANGO on the other forum too I think and also about JOHNNY YUMA. After I saw both of these I never saw any jarring continuity in either films tone. I have seen other movies with drastic tone shifts but this is not one of them.

The Hunchback

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 22:09 »

What was drawn out about it? The DOLLARS films feature goofy bits of comedy as well and there is nothing confusing about what the film is.

You make reference to this all the time. I'm not Cigar Joe or Dave Jenkins.
I don't hold Leone's work in such high regard that I have to dismiss his comtemporaries' efforts. Nor do I compare something like "Navajo Joe" to "Fistful of dollars" (NJ being better by the way) like CJ does.

Please stop treating me like a prejudice fool ;)

What I said about "Johnny Yuma" (If I recall correctly) was that the comical mexican sidekick was an annoyance.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2007 - 22:11 »

You make reference to this all the time. I'm not Cigar Joe or Dave Jenkins.
I don't hold Leone's work in such high regard that I have to dismiss his comtemporaries' efforts.

Please stop treating me like a prejudice fool ;)

What I said about "Johnny Yuma" (If I recall correctly) was that the comical mexican sidekick was an annoyance.

;D ;D I can't help it....it was quite traumatizing you know! ;D ;D ;D

Mart85

« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2007 - 06:55 »

Quote from: The Hunchback
I think I missed this as my copy only has Italian audio and I'm forced to read English subs which apparently omits this obscenity.

IIRC it's in the Australian SBS subtitles. I don't remember hearing it the dub.  Though it may have been like Tuco's last line in THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY in that you don't hear him say it.  Been a while since I watched it.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2007 - 08:51 »

Great DVD, but the film was rather cliché in my opinion. You could probably make it by simply editing together clips of earlier SWs.

Still, I've given it the full review treatment: W Django (1972)
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

Vito Cipriani

• Almost Human
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2008 - 00:55 »

Great DVD, but the film was rather cliché in my opinion.
Yes, NEW's DVD was a revelation for me. The movie is cliched, but sometimes that's not a wholly bad thing. It's interesting how quickly the once-revolutionary (in the mid-1960s) Italian Western began to develop its own cliches.

I may rewatch this film soon, as I haven't seen it since the NEW DVD was released (in early 2007, wasn't it?)
'Society has many means of protecting itself: bureaucracy, red tape... and the revolver'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.