• 05 Dec 2020 - 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My holiday in Rome  (Read 5476 times)

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
Re: My holiday in Rome
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2009 - 12:31 »

haha,

actually it flourishes here. There's an Italian shop on my street, unfortunately to get the same quality you're talking a large €-price difference for the same pasta. So we smuggled some "real" stuff over.

French and Italian cuisine are both great but I'm leaning towards Italian this week...
Dig that groove baby.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2009 - 12:37 »

...I'm leaning towards Italian this week...

It's great isn't it? Since I got back from Italy pizza's over here just don't cut it.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2009 - 21:29 »

lol....

Well i've been digging into some of the films i got there. Until this evening only horrors, cracked open Milano Calibro 9. Holy shit, I love every minute of it! Tomorrow is the "sequel".  :)

Slowly getting into crime flicks - so far, so frigging good!
Dig that groove baby.

martino1705

• Almost Human
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2009 - 22:21 »

Great piece Broonage, it sounds like you had a brilliant time. I was in Rome for 4 days last September and can only back up all the wonderful things you have to say about it. A few points of my own. As others have said Profondo Rosso is not that cheap especially for DVDs but you simply have to go there for the expierience. The museum itself was slightly bigger than I was expecting from the pictures I had seen but is still not massive..definatly worth a look though.

On the first day there I found a street vendor selling DVDs about 2 minutes walk from Profondo Rosso...it was a Lovelockandloaders idea of paradise. He had 3 or 400 films for sale including most of the Alan Young releases brand new and sealed for 3 euros a piece..I was like a kid in a candy store. I bought about 12 films some of which I already had but could'nt resist due to their cool Italian covers. I went back next day to continue shopping but he was gone and replaced by a bloke selling womens shoes, my wife was delighted I was like a demon!! So there is my first piece of advice if you see something you want buy it then and there as it may not be there the following day.

Second piece of advice is regarding accommodation, if you are thinking of going I recommend you stay as close to the centre as your budget will afford. We stayed at a hotel called the Roma Congress in Via Prenestina which was about 6 miles from the centre of Rome. It was a long walk to the metro through an apparantly dodgy area and even though Merli makes it look like a piece of piss I was not in the mood to take on the local hoods! It was 35 euros by taxi as we found out to our cost on the first day so that was not an option. We decided on the hotel shuttle bus at 10 euros a day return but this took an hour and a half each way due to the manic traffic conditions..so be warned. I would have been happy to walk but the wife's feet were killing her after the 10 hours sightseeing each day...serves her right for wearing the shoes she bought from my fucking DVD stall !!!!! Only joking and happy travelling.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2009 - 08:25 »

Second piece of advice is regarding accommodation, if you are thinking of going I recommend you stay as close to the centre as your budget will afford.

Absolutely agree with that. Both times we went we stayed just off the via Vittorio Veneto, 5 minutes walk from the Trevi fountain. The room was about 90 euros a night but worth every cent due to the sheer ease of access it gave us to the city. It was such a treat to be able to get up at 8.30am and walk down to the Colosseum, arriving before it got busy and literally having the place to ourselves.

Here's a panoramic pic I took when we went, there was literally about 30 people in the whole place. As we left it seemed like all of Rome was queuing to get in...

Click the link to see pic (it's too wide to fit on the forum)

Click Here

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2009 - 08:50 »

We stayed at Hotel Locarno – this was quite central too – about a ten minute walk from the Profondo Rosso store and about another ten minute walk from the Spanish Steps. It was a gorgeous hotel – although it's only three stars, it has an ambient atmosphere and art deco feel – there was very little in the lobby and bar areas that would suggest much time passing since the 1930s!

As Broonage said, Rome is a relatively small city and most of the places of interest and relevant shops are within walking distance. Our first full day there we took a cab to a huge market in the south of the city centre. We took a slow walk back and never took any transport again – you see so much more if you're prepared to walk around.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2009 - 09:13 »

We opted to rent a flat rather than a hotel. We got one for around the same price as a 2 star hotel right next to the Pantheon. We could cook our own meals and we even had a little terrace to have breakfast in the morning. Really great!

We walked all the time, it took us around 25 minutes (ok maybe a little longer as we stopped to take photos on the way) to get to the PR store. I'm still a little sore but well worth it.

Great photo Jonny. We managed to miss the lines at the Colosseum as we bought a ticket before hand.
Dig that groove baby.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2009 - 10:47 »

Last time I was in Rome I stayed at a place in the centre that supplied free bicycles... it was a great way to the see the city
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Canisius

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2009 - 20:08 »

Looks like a cool vacation to me! And Rome sure is an AMAZING city...unfortunately I've been there only once during a highschool trip but it was a great experience...I am ready to go again in the future! ::)

Distorty

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2009 - 02:11 »

Not long now until I'll be in Rome. These stories make me even more excited!  :P

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2009 - 06:08 »

Last time I was in Rome I stayed at a place in the centre that supplied free bicycles... it was a great way to the see the city

Did you have to give the bike back?  ;D
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.