• 29 Feb 2020 - 05:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Camp on Blood Island (Val Guest, 1958)  (Read 2263 times)

fdsmedia

The Camp on Blood Island (Val Guest, 1958)
« on: 01 Jul 2009 - 07:26 »

This Hammer film will be released by Sony UK on September 21 - is it any good?

Format: DVD
Release Date: September 21
Synopsis
Lurid prison camp story about a sadistic commandant who has vowed to slaughter all his prisoners should his side lose the war. When the prisoners learn of the end of the war, they keep it a secret until they can stage a revolt.
Cast and Crew
Stars: Carl Mohner, Andre Morell, Edward Underdown
Director: Val Guest
Producer: Anthony Hinds

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
Re: The Camp on Blood Island (Val Guest, 1958)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2009 - 07:57 »

Wow, that is good news, have they any other titles planned? Hammer made a few war films in the 1950s.

I've not seen this film (few have actually, it has never been on VHS or DVD anywhere) but the film was acclaimed at the time as the first to really show the brutality of the Japanese war machine.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

fdsmedia

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2009 - 08:11 »

Wow, that is good news, have they any other titles planned? Hammer made a few war films in the 1950s.
Losey's THE DAMNED will be released on the same day, no more war films at the moment.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2009 - 14:34 »

A post on another forum suggests that Hammer's Yesterday's Enemy might be joining this release. I certainly hope that turns out to be true.

Now we just need Universal to release Camp on Blood Island and for whoever owns Steel Bayonet (it was released by UA in 1958) to find it and we've got a very nice Hammer war collection. There is also the WW2 comedy Don't Panic Chaps (1959) which was part of the doomed DDHE/Sony deal, so might also be part of any upcoming release schedule.

10 Seconds to Hell is a post-war Hammer thriller in the world of UXBs, helmed by Robert Aldrich and starring Jack Palance, but a previous release by DDHE was cancelled apparently due to a lack of suitable materials.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

fdsmedia

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2009 - 14:40 »

A post on another forum suggests that Hammer's Yesterday's Enemy might be joining this release. I certainly hope that turns out to be true.
This is true, somehow I missed that info.,..  ??? It seems to be another Movie Mail mailorder exclusive like the Robin Hood film.

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2009 - 19:25 »

I caught up with both BLOOD ISLAND and YESTERDAY'S ENEMY recently via tatty old pan/ scan full screen video copies from decades old VHS broadcasts.  I had high hopes for BLOOD ISLAND, but despite a great cast, BLOOD came off poorly, overly melodramtic and cliched.  YESTERDAY'S ENEMY worked in the opposite, I knew next to nothing about it, and it was a hard hitting, tautly presented WW2 film.  Both films focus on British / Japanese POW relationships, but each takes a unique approach.

Who knows if these will ever surface in the US, so this news is very welcome.  I sincerly hope YESTERDAY is on the way so it can find a modern audience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.