• 13 Nov 2019 - 21:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Figures In A Landscape (Joseph Losey, 1970)  (Read 3025 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Figures In A Landscape (Joseph Losey, 1970)
« on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:02 »

Anyone else seen this? It's a real oddity. Two escaped convicts in an undisclosed totalitarian state make their way across the countryside whilst never far from the watchful eye of two men sent to capture them in a black helicopter.

The photography (the film was shot in Spain) is tremendous, as are the stunts, especially those involving the helicopter dangerously stalking the escapees. Robert Shaw and Malcolm McDowell star and make an interesting onscreen couple. Shaw also wrote the screenplay. Definitely worth a watch.

This was due out on disc through Paramount here in the UK back in 2005 and never actually made it to the shelves. I have a Dutch release (also from Paramount). Film is presented Letterboxed, 2.35:1. Little has been done to spruce up the image, and it often looks grainy and a bit battered. Whilst an anamorphic transfer would have been preferable, to have this at all, especially in its OAR is good enough... for now.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: Figures In A Landscape (Joseph Losey, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:14 »

Sounds great. I'd heard the title of this film before but had no idea what it was about, sounds like a winner.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:18 »

It's really atmospheric and because of its locations, has something of a spaghetti western feel to it. Watched it with the wife. She loves action films and I sold it on the lines of it was "about two blokes being chased by a helicopter throughout the whole film". Suffice to say, she hated it, but I really dug it. It's quite a beguiling film and one that I'm sure many of the forum members would really enjoy.

There was a fair amount of discussion on the old ABUK forums, which can be accessed in the archive over on Cult Movie Forums...
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:21 »

Sounds good. I'll be reading up on this one...

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:22 »

Incidentally, this had a pre-cert release in the UK, courtesy of CBS/Fox and under the title THE HUNTED:

The Hunted on Pre-Cert

Phill

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:35 »

Seen it about 15 yrs ago on the BBC and it's a great film. Managed to pick up a mint ex-rental dvd of it up a couple of months ago which i was well pleased with as it hasn't been released as a sell thru title ?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 11:41 »

Seen it about 15 yrs ago on the BBC and it's a great film. Managed to pick up a mint ex-rental dvd of it up a couple of months ago which i was well pleased with as it hasn't been released as a sell thru title ?

There are secondhand copies of the UK disc on amazon but they start at £15.00, but nothing else. There was talk on the old ABUK forum that the film had been released in the UK as a Blockbuster Excusive, which seems odd for an old film but these bigger companies are exclusive-happy and will probably take what they can get! Would be really interested to know if Paramount did similar deals for other obscure titles.

I managed to get my Dutch copy from a Playtrade seller for £6.99 delivered. It wasn't sealed but was absolutely mint.

Phill

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 12:29 »

That explains it mate, i got mine from Blockbuster.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 15:06 »

I've wanted to see this for years.  :-[
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 16:13 »

There's a US seller with one of these on eBay at the moment, Michael.  :-X

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2009 - 20:56 »

There's a US seller with one of these on eBay at the moment, Michael.  :-X

Thanks, Mate!  :P

I'll check it out.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Richard C

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2009 - 13:40 »

If anyone is a member of LoveFilm it seems they have copies for rent on there

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.