• 19 Jan 2021 - 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Smashing Bird I Used To Know/School For Unclaimed Girls (R. Hartford-Davis)  (Read 2436 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

Finally caught up with this one last night. It's the story of Nicki, a young girl who has a massive guilt complex over her father's death years before. Her wealthy mother has since started a relationship with a younger man who's out to fleece her. When Nicki (Madeleine Hinde) returns one afternoon from a day spent bunking off school with her sweetheart (Dennis Waterman), the mother's boyfriend makes a pass at her and gets violent when she rejects him. Nicki plunges a bottle opener into his stomach in an attempt to defend herself, and is sent to a reform school.

Gritty social realism mixes with some exploitative elements. Strange bedfellows for sure, but it just about works. Not the best film of the genre—I prefer Pete Walker's COOL IT CAROL and Peter Collinson's UP THE JUNCTION—but definitely worth watching.

The budget UK release from Slamdunk (as SCHOOL FOR UNCLAIMED GIRLS) is fine for what is, presenting the film in its original ratio, albeit without anamorphic enhancement. The print itself is serviceable, though it's quite beaten up. The films trailer is included along with an image gallery

School For Unclaimed Girls - Amazon.co.uk

"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Richard C

Think I'll put this one on my rental list as I thought Lipman and Waterman were OK in UP THE JUNCTION. Cheers Paul for the head's up.

Are any of his (Robert Hartford-Davis) any good?

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

You're welcome, Richard.  :-X

I've got CORRUPTION and THE FIEND from Hartford-Davis still to watch. Both of the DVDs I have are cut, sadly.

"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Richard C

You're welcome, Richard.  :-X

I've got CORRUPTION and THE FIEND from Hartford-Davis still to watch. Both of the DVDs I have are cut, sadly.

I'm always looking for stuff to add to my rental list and the more obscure/little-known the film the better as I get them quicker than the popular titles  ::).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.