• 11 Dec 2019 - 09:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GIALLO PURCHASES  (Read 15542 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

GIALLO PURCHASES
« on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:21 »

I just ordered these to get my giallo collection going (finally). I only have a few Argento's and Bava's.

BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA
SPASMO
RED QUEEN BOX SET
STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER
MY DEAR KILLER
CASE OF THE SCORPIONS TAIL
DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING
THE KILLER MUST KILL AGAIN
7 BLOOD STAINED ORCHIDS

opinions on these...?

CJ

Re: GIALLO PURCHASES
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:33 »

The Giallo's I've bought on DVD so far are:

Deep Red
Don't Torture a Duckling
Black Belly of the Tarantula
Eyeball
Spasmo
Death Walks at Midnight
Death Walks on High Heels
Torso
Autopsy
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key
The Pyjama Girl Case
Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye
Watch Me When I Kill
The Killer Must Kill Again
Body Puzzle
Cat O'Nine Tails
Tenebrae
Opera
The Stendhal Synmdrome
Blood and Black Lace
Twitch of the Death Nerve
5 Dolls for an August Moon
Shock
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
The Fifth Cord
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh
Strip Nude for Your Killer
Case of the Scorpion's Tail
My Dear Killer
Seven Blood Stained Orchids
What Have You Done To Solange?
Red Queen Kills Seven Times
The Night Evelyn Came Up from the Grave
Spasmo
What Have You Done to Solange?
Who Saw Her Die?
The Bloodstained Shadow
Case of the Bloody Iris
Short Night of the Glass Dolls
All the Colors of the Dark
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Death Smiled at Murder
Delirium
(Polselli)
Delirium (Lamberto Bava)

As for opinions on those you've ordered, my favourite of those would be Seven Blood Stained Orchids - a superbly crafted Giallo from --gasp!-- Umberto Lenzi! Hahahaha.

Seriously though, that's a good haul, some real gems in there. I think you're going to have a good time with those. Strip Nude is just wrong for so many reasons, but it's great fun. You'll love it. I did.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:35 »

I love Lenzi's movies. STRIP NUDE...is from Bianchi, right? That's reason enough there.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:37 »

Love Lenzi and his attitude and his movies. He should be treated with more respect :-X

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:38 »

I REALLY want to see Lenzi's all star THE GREAT ATTACK. I saw his BATTLE OF THE COMMANDOS as a kid. Argento wrote this and it stars Palance.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007 - 23:41 »

I also ordered a few mexican and spanish horror flicks I've passed over temporarily. A friend of mine has an extensive giallo collection with lots of the X-rated Cult releases. How is KNIFE OF ICE from Lenzi?

CJ

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 00:05 »

Love Lenzi and his attitude and his movies. He should be treated with more respect :-X

Oh yes, count me in as a fan of him and his movies. I think the movies he makes are pure entertainment - even the bad ones. Cannibal Ferox was the first Italian cannibal movie I ever saw, so I have a fondness for Lenzi because of this.  :-\

vigilanteforce

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 00:07 »

I even love his HITCHER IN THE DARK- am I the only person in the world?  :-\

Kalibre38

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 05:15 »

Hitcher in the Dark is great  :-\

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 08:23 »

BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA - This is great - really well-directed and one of the genre's best, IMO.
SPASMO - A solid giallo from Lenzi. Not to all tastes.
RED QUEEN BOX SET - I have this but have yet to see either film.
STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER. Got this but not seen it.
MY DEAR KILLER - Very good giallo
CASE OF THE SCORPIONS TAIL - Moderately entertaining, if memory serves me right, but not one of Martino's best
DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING - Brilliant - one of Fulci's best films, IMO and one of my top 10 gialli
THE KILLER MUST KILL AGAIN - Not bad, but not particularly wonderful but entertaining. Not a giallo per se.
7 BLOOD STAINED ORCHIDS - Very good. One of Lenzi's best.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2007 - 11:11 »

Oh yes, count me in as a fan of him and his movies. I think the movies he makes are pure entertainment - even the bad ones. Cannibal Ferox was the first Italian cannibal movie I ever saw, so I have a fondness for Lenzi because of this.  :-\

It was my first Italo cannibal movie as well. It also got me into lots of trouble. Thanks, Comp for the mini assessments on the giallo's.

Fray G

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2007 - 22:27 »

The Red Queen set is a lot of fun. I prefer Red Queen kills..... over Evelyn, but both have a lot of style. The cinematography, set design and locations are quite lush and fairly similar to each other. Red Queen has a nice gothic horror angle to it and a couple of satisfying kills (including one reminiscent of Luciano Rossi's Violent Naples demise). While Evelyn is chock full of knee high leather boots and whips and serves as a cautionary tale about leaving industrial amounts of sulphuric acid lying around besides swimming pools. You'll recognise a few second-string familiar faces from crime films in these two as well.

And more praise for Duckling here, it's my favourite Giallo.
I have Seven Blood Stained Orchids on order at the moment too, looking forward to seeing it.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2007 - 22:40 »

Thanks, Fray G, aside from most of Argento's movies and a few others like SLAUGHTER HOTEL, I'm not very learned on the giallo movies.

Fray G

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2007 - 23:01 »

That's cool, you have a nice cross-section of releases on order. It'll be interesting to see if you prefer the more classical(for want of a better word) gialli like Black Belly and pursue similar stuff like Aldo Lado's, or if Strip Nude for Your Killer floats your boat and you dive headlong into the gutter and get Giallo A Venezia!  ::)

By the way, the final 15 seconds of Strip Nude is jaw droppingly offensive and pretty damn funny. I'd warn you against watching it in female company but the likelihood of female company making it through the rest of the film to this point is slim. :-\

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2007 - 23:07 »

I don't have to worry about female company at the moment. I have been called crazy and eccentric for my taste in movies. I seldom see anything new or even new american movies at all. I'm already aware of what many of these are about as well as being familiar with the various directors. And oh, yes...I am anxiously awaiting GIALLO IN VENICE. A friend has a subbed edition with terrible quality but I put off watching it for now. I've got far too many movie to see at the moment anyway and so little time.

And if you saw my collection, I'm all about wading in the gutter! ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.