• 15 Jul 2020 - 17:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Angst / Fear (Gerald Kargl, 1983)  (Read 10647 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Angst / Fear (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
« on: 09 Sep 2009 - 10:25 »

Read about this one the other day and it sounds quite intense.

Can't seem to find a DVD release for sale anywhere, there's the cover that I've posted below and also in an interview with the Director at this link a release from Barrel Entertainment is mentioned featuring an audio commentary...

Was the Barrel release ever issued? Anyone know if the release below is still available? Has anyone even seen this film?

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
Re: Angst / Fear (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2009 - 11:41 »

Has anyone even seen this film?

Yes, remember seeing this on a bootleg tape in the mid-90s. Never forgotten it. A dark, disturbing and unrelenting film. Virtually no dialogue. Very nihilistic - makes Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer feel positively up-beat in comparison! Well worth tracking down. Didn't realise there was a Barrel release of this. Gotta have it if it's available...
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2009 - 19:33 »

First saw it at one of those Eurofests back in the early 90s. We were hoping to issue it on Redemption but never got round to it. It's an incredibly intense and unnerving movie.

Barrel didn't release it as they went bust. The licensor also packed up and consequently all their films went to much larger sales agent.

The German DVD release is missing the opening pre-credit sequence. I still have an original uncut subtitled screener from the original sales agent. I also have an uncut Belgian VHS.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2009 - 10:40 »

This film is a great example of grim and disturbing film making at its best. The true case behind this movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Kniesek
If you can read German: the German Wiki entry has some more information and a newspaper picture of the real Kniesek.

Jonny, the film is still sold here in retail stores and online shops. Have you tried amazon.de or beyond-media.at? Dtm.at doesn't seem to carry it at the moment. You may also want to look out for the two-disc edition that sports a different cover:

It adds interviews with actor Erwin Leder and composer Klaus Schulze of Tangerine Dream fame. Unfortunately neither of the two editions is English friendly ??? As Ben pointed out it's not a problem for the film itself, though, as there is hardly anything spoken at all.

Considering their outstanding track record I would have loved to see Barrel releasing ANGST as they'd have shown more integrity towards the film. The German Epix disc is fine as it basically represents the version that was originally shown at the film's premiere. But why didn't they simply include the removed material as an extra for the curious collector? Besides, one murder has been considerably darkened on request of the director himself (who after the financial failure of this film became an award winning director in the industrial advertising field. Scared of his own creation after so many years?). The running time of the scene stays the same but quite a bit of picture information is lost. The comparison on the following page shows the French full screen tape on the left and the dvd on the right (you'll need to scroll down a little):
http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=2847
Otherwise the Epix dvd is perfectly ok and - with the Barrel disc failing to materialise - the only way to go.

If anyone is still unsure about the intensity of this film check out these trailers. The original trailer which doesn't reveal much:

And the newly created trailer for the dvd release. You can get an impression of Zbig Rybczynskis mesmerisingly fluid and yet claustrophobic camera work on this film:
http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=43438160

Crudox cruo!

Canisius

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2009 - 22:08 »

Angst is def. worth a watch...minimalistic but really creepy and mean, I can only recommend this movie!

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2010 - 09:23 »

i have two versions of this also, with the intro, the film starts under the title schitzophrenia and without its title card is angst.

the schitzophrenia version on from notro films, a spanish dvd (http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5749)
under the title 'la angustia del miedo, enlish subs, trailer' the none intro angst version i have is a film only dvdr with english subs i was given a while back source unknown

the 'video look' intro serves the purpose of explaining why at the begining of the film the main character is inprisoned and tells some back story about the state of his mental health. this is very important to the film as i think its the directors whole point for making it

mental health laws differ in every country, the uk have very good ones however elsewhere you can be totally hatstand and will be diagnosed differently and recieve no therapy or treatment, simply serve time and be released to re-offend again.. with the intro you get the impression (i did anyway) that this is the point of the film rather than just to make another 'henry'

i couldn't comment about any other changes to the none intro version angst as i've not got around to watching it yet
Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

gaz1

• One Just Man
  • excuse me miss? does this smell of chloroform to u
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2010 - 10:32 »

just to correct my previous post, the notro films spanish disc has german/spannish audio, spannish subs, the english subs for this are available to download from from divix.com/subtitles  :(!!

Bring on the young girls and the free cocaine!!

Distorty

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2010 - 14:50 »

I don't know if saying I like this movie makes me a creep, but it is quite the experience. I saw it recently on a late Sunday evening in bed on the laptop, I just kind of threw it on to pass out but I was glued, the lead character is such a horrible beast.

Well worth a watch if you like serial killer style films.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #8 on: 07 Oct 2012 - 17:20 »

An English friendly blu-ray release is available in France: http://www.sinart.asso.fr/schizophrenia-29274
Can't wait to revisit this disturbing film in HD! It's also available in a 2-disc DVD version.

Hellochas

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #9 on: 07 Oct 2012 - 20:44 »

An English friendly blu-ray release is available in France: http://www.sinart.asso.fr/schizophrenia-29274
Can't wait to revisit this disturbing film in HD! It's also available in a 2-disc DVD version.

Is this version full length with the intro and the non-darkened scenes?

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #10 on: 08 Oct 2012 - 12:35 »

I doubt it very much.
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2012 - 20:35 »

I think the new French Blu Ray has the prologue as an extra. I'd quite like to know if the tunnel murder is darkened in the Blu Ray too.

djvaso

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2012 - 14:37 »

Unfortunately, this release is definitely not English friendly.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #13 on: 09 Oct 2012 - 15:38 »

Unfortunately, this release is definitely not English friendly.

That's a shame!

fenriz

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2012 - 22:06 »

Prologue is included and you can choose to watch it or not before the movie, print is also stunning!

Don't have checked the tunnel murder yet!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 36 queries.