• 09 Aug 2022 - 21:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jekyll (Giorgio Albertazzi, 1969)  (Read 5435 times)

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
Jekyll (Giorgio Albertazzi, 1969)
« on: 07 Nov 2009 - 16:21 »

Anyone else seen this 4-part TV series version of Robert Louis Stevenson's famous story? It's a really interesting adaptation that's set in the present time of 1969 with Jekyll as a university professor who does biology lectures for a bunch of hippie students.

It's written and directed by renowned film and theater actor Giorgio Albertazzi, who also stars as both Jekyll and Hyde. Albertazzi's performance is extremely impressive and he demonstrates a great deal of range as he switches from the handsome and intellectual Jekyll to the creepy and aggressive Hyde, who looks very freaky with yellow contact lenses.

Albertazzi and Massimo Girotti (as his lawyer) give the best performances but the cast also includes lots of other familiar actors that deliver solid work, including Claudio Gora (SEVEN BLOODSTAINED ORCHIDS, BEAST WITH A GUN) as Jekyll's mentor, Bianca Toccafondi (WATCH ME WHEN I KILL) as Jekyll's secretary, Ursula Davis (CRYPT OF THE VAMPIRE, AN ANGEL FOR SATAN) as an Irish student, Orso Maria Guerrini (THE BIG RACKET, KEOMA) as a bar patron who saves a young girl from Hyde, Liana Del Balzo (CROSS CURRENT, DEEP RED) as Hyde's landlady and singer Penny Brown (LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN) as one of the hippie students.

The pacing is slow, there are too many long dialogue scenes and the emphasis seems to be more on the drama than on the suspense but I still found this quite fascinating. The cinematography is by Stelvio Massi isn't perfect but it's superior to most TV cinematography from this period; featuring some pretty inventive and stylish camera angles. The trippy sequence where Jekyll transforms into Hyde for the first time is particularly well-shot and is accompanied by a really creepy score.

The Italian DVD from Rai Trade is part of their "I grandi sceneggiati della televisione italiana" series and looks pretty decent but it comes with a Rai logo and, naturally, it's in Italian only. Probably not for everyone's taste but it's well worth a look, I'd say.

Some screenshots:

Stephen Grimes

Re: Jekyll (Giorgio Albertazzi, 1969)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2009 - 16:46 »

It's written and directed by renowned film and theater actor Giorgio Albertazzi,
I've just realised that Albertazzi played the part of the jealous drag queen in Tonino Cervi's LA NOTTATA,quite a memorable performance as well.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2009 - 23:46 »

It's written and directed by renowned film and theater actor Giorgio Albertazzi,
I've just realised that Albertazzi played the part of the jealous drag queen in Tonino Cervi's LA NOTTATA,quite a memorable performance as well.

He was also LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD and reportedly does the voice of the devil in the Italian dubbing of BEYOND THE DOOR.

bdc

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2009 - 10:05 »

Looks good,where would one be able to buy this?

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2009 - 14:42 »

Has anyone bought any of the titles from Fabbri's GLI SCENEGGIATI RAI - GIALLO & MISTERO series?
I've aready got a few from old tv broadcasts like ALBERTO E L'UOMO NERO and IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO but wouldn't mind getting upgrades if this new collection is better quality.

GLI SCENEGGIATI RAI GIALLO & MISTERO

Johan Melle

• Violent Professional
    • Euro Fever
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2009 - 19:10 »

Haven't seen LA NOTTATA but this sounds cool. Albertazzi is definitely a talented and versatile actor who is serious about his craft but he doesn't seem to have any qualms about also appearing in less prestigious projects (he's also in the giallo FIVE WOMEN FOR THE KILLER). I like that!

Looks good,where would one be able to buy this?

I got it on eBay. Other releases in the "Grandi sceneggiati della televisione italiana" also show up there from time to time. You can probably find them in some online stores too but I'm not sure where...

Has anyone bought any of the titles from Fabbri's GLI SCENEGGIATI RAI - GIALLO & MISTERO series?

I don't have any of them but I've seen some good-looking clips (without the RAI logo) of IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO posted on Youtube and I'm guessing it comes from the DVD. The DVD releases of the two sci-fi series A COME ANDROMEDA (1971) and GAMMA (1975) are supposed to look good too.

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2009 - 20:10 »

The DVD releases of the two sci-fi series A COME ANDROMEDA (1971) and GAMMA (1975) are supposed to look good too.

Didn't know Gamma was out on DVD. Would love to see this. Great score.
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

bdc

« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2009 - 18:27 »

I'm thinking of buying Jekyll,would you say it has a bit of a gothic feel or not really?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.