• 23 Jan 2021 - 00:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)  (Read 4449 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)
« on: 21 Oct 2009 - 08:28 »

This UK-Australia co-production is set in Florida and is something of a departure for Smith, who previously directed the derivitive but enjoyable monster flick CREEP and horror comedy SEVERANCE.

TRIANGLE is a psychological thriller that centres on a troubled mother (played by ex-HOME AND AWAY starlet Melissa George) who begins to question her own sanity when her and some friends take a boating trip that ends in disaster. When they're yaght capsizes during a storm, the group are delighted when a large cruise liner appears out of the smog, but anyone that's seen DEATH SHIP will tell you "don't board it!", but they do and some serious bizarre events begin to unfold once they're aboard the deserted vessel.

To say any more would ruin it. It's excellent and a massive step up from Smith's other (admittedly) enjoyable films.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 08:30 »

Funny that it's called Triangle, when i was a kid there was some programme on tv with the same name set on a boat!

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 08:31 »

It's quite a clever title, and if you watch the film, you'll see what I mean.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 10:27 »

I found it very annoying after a awhile.
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 10:37 »

I found it very annoying after a awhile.

I watched it the other night and it had a similar effect on me.  :-\

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 10:41 »

Really? I wasn't expecting much from it and really enjoyed it. I can see how it might wind some people up. The wife hated it, probably for teh reasons why you both didn't like it, but I never thought I'd see the day when you two would side with her taste rather than mine  :-\

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:00 »

Really? I wasn't expecting much from it and really enjoyed it. I can see how it might wind some people up. The wife hated it, probably for teh reasons why you both didn't like it, but I never thought I'd see the day when you two would side with her taste rather than mine  :-\

I might have missed something but it bothered me that there didn't seem to be any explanation for what was going on. I'm usually fine with films that are left open and give you something to ponder but ths one got me riled.

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:05 »

It started off a bit like Death Ship then became a Twilight Zone episode. The editing was tour-de-force but the story as a whole, particularly the main character wound me up somewhat.

Still, it's a brave movie to make.
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:25 »

The editing is superb, as you say, Marc, and probably one of the film's finest qualities. It certainly sweeps along at a cracking pace.

Jonny - I didn't think there's was much room for explanation without running the risk of dumbing it down and turn it into something very formulaic.

[spoiler]Considering it's set off the coast of Florida, I just assumed that we were witnessing what actually happens to those that go missing in the Bermuda Triangle. That, or it's just the deluded mind of a very crazy woman. Either way, I really dug the flick.  :'([/spoiler]

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:27 »

[spoiler]Considering it's set off the coast of Florida, I just assumed that we were witnessing what actually happens to those that go missing in the Bermuda Triangle. That, or it's just the deluded mind of a very crazy woman. Either way, I really dug the flick.  :'([/spoiler]

[spoiler]It has to be all in her mind, how else could she have got out of the wrecked car at the end?[/spoiler]

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:31 »

[spoiler]It has to be all in her mind, how else could she have got out of the wrecked car at the end?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]But there are fantastical elements and because the end is also the beginning, she'd have had to have lived through that car wreck to have gotten on to the boat in the first place. Like you, I do lean towards "da chick is crazy" theory, but you can't rule out the other as a possibility either. I like ambiguity, because even if you hate a an ambiguous film, you can still talk about it for hours![/spoiler]

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:50 »

you can still talk about it for hours!

Indeed!

[spoiler]I aslo wonder about how long the 'loop' has been going on. It couldn't have been going on indefinitely because there wasn't an infinte pile of identical dead bodies on the ship or with the dead seagulls... Therefore if it had a starting point it could also have an ending point. But what started it and when will it stop?  :-*[/spoiler]

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 11:58 »

you can still talk about it for hours!

Indeed!

[spoiler]I aslo wonder about how long the 'loop' has been going on. It couldn't have been going on indefinitely because there wasn't an infinte pile of identical dead bodies on the ship or with the dead seagulls... Therefore if it had a starting point it could also have an ending point. But what started it and when will it stop?  :-*[/spoiler]

You're 100% right there and I thought the same.

TheMissus

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 13:20 »

I've not seen it (yet), but i do think it's a pity she's still referred to as 'ex Home and Away' star.
I remember her best for Mulholland Drive   8)     Shame she's only got small-ish parts until now.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2009 - 13:38 »

I've not seen it (yet), but i do think it's a pity she's still referred to as 'ex Home and Away' star.
I remember her best for Mulholland Drive   8)     Shame she's only got small-ish parts until now.

Haha - it's a bit of a diss, eh? She had small roles in DARK CITY and THE LIMEY too but she was the female lead in the AMITYVILLE HORROR remake.

I need to see MULHOLLAND DR again - not seen it since watching it at the pictures.  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.