• 18 Jun 2019 - 09:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (Carlos Aured, 1973)  (Read 3469 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

aka Los ojos azules de la muñeca rota

Paul Naschy plays the part of a released prisoner who finds himself a job as a caretaker in a big house whose inhabitants are three sisters, One who is serious, one is a slut and the other is in a wheelchair.

There is a killer on the loose and the victims all have blonde hair and blue eyes (hence the title), the killer removes the corpses eyes and puts them in a petra dish.

Who is the murderer and why are these events taking place?.....

I enjoyed this Spanish murder mystery film (I'm not gonna call it a Spanish Giallo ;D) and for some reason I really liked the music even though it was extremely cheesy.

Here are some screenshots I took from the BCI DVD.

But as what seems the case quite often with these 70's Spanish films is that the sometimes take a while to get going.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
Re: Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll (Carlos Aured, 1973)
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2010 - 20:40 »

If you can get hold of the BCI DVDs, this is well worth picking up.

Just watched this as part of the Naschy blog-athon and really enjoyed it. The Giallo storyline is certainly not the most original, but the solution and denouement are well done. The setting is also unique, having the classic Paul Naschy horror film atmosphere with a small but largely female cast, isolated European settings (which all look suspiciously Spanish!) and a gratuitous fist fight - all we needed was for his car to get stopped by a gang of thieves on the way to the village and we would have the complete tick list.

Reviewed: Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2010 - 23:22 »

The setting is also unique, having the classic Paul Naschy horror film atmosphere with a small but largely female cast, isolated European settings (which all look suspiciously Spanish!) and a gratuitous fist fight - all we needed was for his car to get stopped by a gang of thieves on the way to the village and we would have the complete tick list.

Reviewed: Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll

Most Spanish horror films from the Franco era were set in other countries due to censorship (which encompassed the scripting phase of pre-production).  HOUSE is set in France, I think (as is WEREWOLF SHADOW while TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD is set in Portuagal) although shot in Spain.

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2010 - 17:45 »

Most Spanish horror films from the Franco era were set in other countries due to censorship (which encompassed the scripting phase of pre-production).  HOUSE is set in France, I think (as is WEREWOLF SHADOW while TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD is set in Portuagal) although shot in Spain.

Yes, apparently the Spanish censors believed that people would get a bad impression of the country if horror films were set there. Thus 'Werewolf Shadow' is set in the mountains of northern France (!?), 'Dr Jekyll and the Werewolf' is largely set in London as is '7 Murders for Scotland Yard', 'Curse of the Devil' is set in Hungary.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures
« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2010 - 19:54 »

Yes, apparently the Spanish censors believed that people would get a bad impression of the country if horror films were set there. Thus 'Werewolf Shadow' is set in the mountains of northern France (!?), 'Dr Jekyll and the Werewolf' is largely set in London as is '7 Murders for Scotland Yard', 'Curse of the Devil' is set in Hungary.

That's also the reason why Naschy's werewolf is Polish rather than a Spaniard.

Snake Plissken

« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2010 - 13:08 »

Very interesting, i am putting this in my "to watch" list  :P

argento

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jan 2011 - 14:02 »

Have a listen to the audio commentary (or look at the subtitles), if you want a laugh.. Naschy talks about the film as if its a lost classic by Ozu or Fellini..didnt expect him or Carlos Aured to sit there slagging the film off, but Naschy does(or did) come over as a bit of a humourless git . I actually met Naschy , and had a drink with him in the bar , when he came over years ago for a film show in London and thought he was a very nice bloke (through his interpreter , a lovely looking Spanish lady). all though he turned down the offer of a drink , sticking to a beer , there were a lot of people in the bar , he was probably thinking of how much a round would cost !  £3.00 a pint of beer in 2011....

MarcMorris

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2011 - 17:08 »

His interpreter (the lovely looking Spanish lady) was my girlfriend of 9 years, Eva.  :D
Nucleus Films
DVD Releasing & DVD Extras Production

Cult Movie Forums | YouTube channel | My Movie Archive

bruce holecheck

• Almost Human
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2011 - 16:39 »

Haha, there's a dolly shot during the end stretch of the film that includes my one of my all-time favorite "accidental-filming-of-the-crew-in-a-mirror" bits! I almost fell off the couch when I saw how obvious it was!
-----------------------------
Cinema Arcana
Knee-Deep in Cinemuck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.