• 28 Feb 2020 - 10:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Week - Channel 4 - Flesh for Frankenstein!  (Read 8180 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: 3D Week - Channel 4 - Flesh for Frankenstein!
« Reply #30 on: 19 Nov 2009 - 08:47 »

What colour lenses are they? Channel 4 are using blue and amber lenses.

Spacevision, the process used for FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN, uses polarised glasses (both lenses the same, looking a bit like ordinary sunglasses) when shown theatrically. They will indeed look similar to the modern polarised glasses you had when you saw FINAL DESTINATION.

Spacevision used a 'stacked' image on the 35mm prints, the two images needed to make the 3D effect were printed 'stacked' on the same frame of film. A special lens on the projector merged the two images on screen to create the distorted image you'd see without the glasses but a 3D image when you put them on. Using this method allows for a full colour 3D image, whereas using the anaglyph (red/green glasses) creates a messy image that's hampered by the red and green 3D elements.

Here's a frame of film from a 35mm Spacevision print where you can see the 'stacked' images.

Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #31 on: 19 Nov 2009 - 09:35 »

Spacevision, the process used for FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN, uses polarised glasses (both lenses the same, looking a bit like ordinary sunglasses) when shown theatrically. They will indeed look similar to the modern polarised glasses you had when you saw FINAL DESTINATION.

Spacevision used a 'stacked' image on the 35mm prints, the two images needed to make the 3D effect were printed 'stacked' on the same frame of film. A special lens on the projector merged the two images on screen to create the distorted image you'd see without the glasses but a 3D image when you put them on. Using this method allows for a full colour 3D image, whereas using the anaglyph (red/green glasses) creates a messy image that's hampered by the red and green 3D elements.

Here's a frame of film from a 35mm Spacevision print where you can see the 'stacked' images.

very interesting

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2009 - 10:25 »

Thanks for clearing that up, mate.

I believe you deserve some karma.  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2009 - 10:52 »

That explains a lot. I thought the type of glasses used for FD3D were a recent thing as I'd never used a pair of them before.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook          Twitter        Google+
Letterboxd

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2009 - 11:08 »

That explains a lot. I thought the type of glasses used for FD3D were a recent thing as I'd never used a pair of them before.

Pretty much all of the 3D films of old (we're talking the 3D boom in the 1950's) were shown using the polarised process. The anaglyph stuff was rarely seen as it didn't work as well but it was easier to show in cinemas that couldn't get the right gear to show polarised stuff, anaglyph films can be shown on any projector without the need to modify anything or buy in new parts.

When 3D enjoyed a revival in the mid 80's the majority of the films were shown using the anaglyph process as it was cheaper for the cinemas to show them this way. This is probably the reason why pretty much everyone associates red/green or red/blue glasses with 3D.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.