• 28 Jan 2021 - 02:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rainbow Thief (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1990)  (Read 9919 times)

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
The Rainbow Thief (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1990)
« on: 12 Jan 2010 - 18:55 »

I was browsing the "purchases" thread on Marc's Cult Movie Forums the other day and saw a throwaway reference to a German release of Jodorowski's oft-neglected follow-up to SANTA SANGRE. This British (yes, you read that right) film was made the year after SS and stars Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif and Christopher Lee and to my knowledge, has never been issued on any format here in the UK. The only release I was previously aware of was the US VHS that was issued by Warner Home Video in the early 90s.

Anyway, the abscence from disc-based formats has been seemingly rectified with German company Ascot Elite Home Entertainment  having released the film on both DVD and Blu-ray back in October. The film is presented in either the original English version or a German dub. There are also German subtitles but there's been no word so far as to whether or not these can be easily disabled. It's also billed as the "director's cut" which is quit encouraging as Jodorowsky is said to have had some friction with the producers over the final edit.

German DVD

German Blu-ray
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
Re: The Rainbow Thief (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1990)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010 - 20:08 »

It came out on a PVB Editions DVD in France (title: Le Voleur d'arc-en-ciel) a few years back but was a grey market release. Hadn't heard about this German release - will have to check it out. Don't hold your breath but a friend who works for a very reputable UK company was interested in putting this out and maybe putting together a Tusk release with Jodorowsky... but a lot has since changed economically so who knows?!
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010 - 20:11 »

It came out on a PVB Editions DVD in France (title: Le Voleur d'arc-en-ciel) a few years back but was a grey market release. Hadn't heard about this German release - will have to check it out. Don't hold your breath but a friend who works for a very reputable UK company was interested in putting this out and maybe putting together a Tusk release with Jodorowsky... but a lot has since changed economically so who knows?!

I've ordered the German Blu-ray but that's still very interesting, Ben. Would definitely buy TUSK blind if it ever saw the light of day.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2010 - 20:31 »

I should be seeing the friend soon so will check in about it again. Please report back on the quality of the Rainbow Thief Blu-ray when you get it, thanks
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2010 - 21:50 »

I should be seeing the friend soon so will check in about it again. Please report back on the quality of the Rainbow Thief Blu-ray when you get it, thanks

Will do.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2010 - 22:29 »

Will do.

Here's a German review.  Not sure if it's the DVD or Blu-ray, it mentions both in the review, but what I want to know is if the Blu-ray's region free. 

http://www.kinophil.de/rainbowthief.php
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2010 - 07:37 »

The review does appear to be for the Blu-ray, Michael. Like you said, there's no mention about region codign so I shall report back when mine arrives.

The review does mention that the only extra included is the original trailer.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2010 - 09:02 »

The review does appear to be for the Blu-ray, Michael. Like you said, there's no mention about region codign so I shall report back when mine arrives.

The review does mention that the only extra included is the original trailer.

Thanks, mate!  :-X
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 14:44 »

Okay. Received this today - not bad considering it was ordered on Monday...

Michael, it has the Region B logo on the reverse of the sleeve. I have no way of checking to see if the disc is actually locked but I would guess that it is.

Ben: The picture quality is great. Really, really nice. Sound is servicable Dolby Digital 2.0. Subtitles can be disabled. As I mention before, the only extras is an English langauage trailer.

Kevin Coed

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Aarrgghh!
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 14:46 »

Michael, it has the Region B logo on the reverse of the sleeve. I have no way of checking to see if the disc is actually locked but I would guess that it is.

I can set my player to Region A only - if you know someone with the same capability then they could check it for you.
"I'm annoyed and it's all your fucking fault you fucking cunt" - Jonny 20/04/13

Facebook 
Letterboxd

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 15:04 »

I can set my player to Region A only - if you know someone with the same capability then they could check it for you.

That's a good point! Didn't think of that. Next time I take a trip to Marc's (should be in the next couple of weeks) I'll take it around.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 15:08 »

I'll also add that the packaging is nice. Regular Blu-ray Amaray housed in a slipcase.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 16:01 »

Thanks!

That's a good point! Didn't think of that. Next time I take a trip to Marc's (should be in the next couple of weeks) I'll take it around.
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 23:00 »

Has anyone actually seen this? I'd not seen it before and wasn't quite sure to expect. It's one of those films that's a bit of a mess, really. That said, there are some great visuals (courtesy of Ronnie OPERA Taylor's photography) and just enough charm to make it worth watching. I also spotted Sheila Keith and Ian Dury in the flick, had no idea either were in it.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2010 - 23:15 »

Has anyone actually seen this? I'd not seen it before and wasn't quite sure to expect. It's one of those films that's a bit of a mess, really. That said, there are some great visuals (courtesy of Ronnie OPERA Taylor's photography) and just enough charm to make it worth watching. I also spotted Sheila Keith and Ian Dury in the flick, had no idea either were in it.

I loved Ian Dury and the Blockheads.  :-X

SNAPORAZ!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.