• 23 Jul 2019 - 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)  (Read 1363 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
« on: 04 Feb 2010 - 21:24 »

Just watched this via the Artifical Eye DVD and thought it was superb - easily in the top three best films of 2009 for me.

Directed by Arnold (who previously made the excellent RED ROAD in 2006 and was one of the presenters of 80s Saturday morning favourite, NO.73 - she was "Dawn"), FISH TANK takes place on an Essex estate and is the story of Mia (brilliant newcomer Katie Jarvis), a 15 year-old misfit who has her world turned upside down when her mother moves her new boyfriend (the always excellent Michael Fassbender - EDEN LAKE, HUNGER, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS) whose intentions for the young girl maybe rather inappropriate.

Arnold's film makes for uncomfortable viewing, but for a film that one would initially write-off as social realism, it cranks so much tension that it makes most Hollywood thrillers pale by comparison. This is a truly brilliant film with plenty to say, oodles of style and some of the best acting you'll see this year. Check it out.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
Re: Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2010 - 07:03 »

I will have to see this, I thought RED ROAD was excellent.  Have you seen the recent Blu-Ray release of RED ROAD Paul?

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold, 2009)
« Reply #2 on: 05 Feb 2010 - 07:55 »

I will have to see this, I thought RED ROAD was excellent.  Have you seen the recent Blu-Ray release of RED ROAD Paul?

I've not seen RED ROAD Since it came out, mate and haven't bought the Blu-ray - I think I'll probably stick with the DVD, unless I see the BD for a ridiculously cheap price. If you liked RED ROAD, you'll really dig FISH TANK. It's obvious both are made by the same director: she has such a gift for cranking suspense and brings a vitality to premises that would play out like a mundane TV drama in a lesser director's hands.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.