• 07 Jul 2020 - 15:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Monster of Florence/Il mostro di Firenze (Cesare Ferrario, 1986)  (Read 6580 times)

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

The German DVD arrived today.  I had a quick look at the DVD and though it is letterboxed it appears to be taken from the Italian VHS.  The running time is 01:36:20.  I have not seen any other version so I am not sure whether it is uncut or not.

Here are some screenshots:

bdc

I thought it looked ok overall,only one or two nightscenes are a bit dark.

Raf A.

• Almost Human

Coming on Blu-ray and DVD from FilmArt:

Original Italian audio with English subtitles. I asked about the transfer and this is their reply:

"We made our own hd transfer like we did with day of the cobra...it looks fantastic! You'll see!"

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action

If only the film was better!  :D I am a bit afraid that their otherwise recommendable giallo edition series might lose steam, if they continue doing re-releases or mediocre fare such as this.
Crudox cruo!

Raf A.

• Almost Human

If only the film was better!  :D I am a bit afraid that their otherwise recommendable giallo edition series might lose steam, if they continue doing re-releases or mediocre fare such as this.

Never seen this. How bad is it?

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action

Well, it's not "bad", but I remember it as a dull and bland affair with next to nothing in terms of eye candy, interesting setpieces or thrilling suspense. Every documentary I saw on the real case was far more gripping. The dreary and uninspired 80s look didn't help much, either. I can hardly believe this was a theatrical release back then as it actually plays out very much like a slow-moving TV crime drama. Viewed as such it might be ok, but viewed and -- judging by the cover -- marketed as a giallo it most likely will disappoint.
Crudox cruo!

Luca Canali

• Cane Arrabbiato

Be interesting to see if this is uncut. Uncut running time should be just over 98 mins PAL. The main scene that's missing from most prints comes at around the 78 minute mark which shows a bloodied victim being dragged to a more secluded area to be mutilated. I have the Japan VHS (110 mins NTSC) which looks great but is also censored in the same place. Darioargento put together an uncut composite of this a while back.

Not particularly exciting but not that bad either, thought nowhere near as grim and grubby as Killer Is Still Among Us.

KommissarX

• Special Cop In Action

Thanks for the info, I didn't know there are cut versions out there. I can't recall if the scene you mentioned was in the version that I saw (TV broadcast) but I doubt it would have made a difference to me, anyway.

I have the Japan VHS (110 mins NTSC)...
Wow, sometimes I think we were quite lucky to have the PAL speedup. Think about all the precious time that we, as film aficionados, have gained here in Europe over the years!  :-\

Not particularly exciting but not that bad either, thought nowhere near as grim and grubby as Killer Is Still Among Us.
Hardly a film is, isn't it? Well, maybe GIALLO A VENEZIA. As many deficiencies as KILLER IS STILL AMONG US has, I still would have preferred if FilmArt had put that one out in a nice-looking edition rather than MOSTRO.
Crudox cruo!

Raf A.

• Almost Human

Thanks for the info guys. I think I won't buy it.

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

The FilmArt Blu-Ray is excellent. Two versions of the film (International and Italian), English subtitles (though timings aren't great and there's some errors) and impressive image quality.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload

Any fans of the TV show HANNIBAL? It's intimated that he's Il mostro di Firenze in the latest series...
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

DjangoLi

• Special Cop In Action

The FilmArt Blu-Ray is excellent. Two versions of the film (International and Italian), English subtitles (though timings aren't great and there's some errors) and impressive image quality.

Wasn't one of mine!

I haven't heard much from FilmArt lately, I keep getting random messages every 3 months to find Franco Nero or Deodato (I found Ruggero... but not Nero) Then silence for long periods of time... then 7 months later I get the discs I asked for (thanks!)

I think Sebastian the guy who runs it is rushed off his feet... at least, it seems like it. He's always very polite and wildly enthusiastic about everything in those brief exchanges.

I like FilmArt - it's another company that makes the effort to get Italian audio/English subs on discs. Speaking of which, check out the next wave of releases from 88Films for more original audio/subs... I've worked on four or five titles for them over this past month.

Just curious, Oli, is the Italian version subbed - or just the German print?
"88Films tend to do what psychotics do,they confuse reality with illusion" David Cronenberg

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

Both are subbed, you can choose either version on the Blu-Ray. Been very impressed with their releases, looking forward to their next one.

Russell22

• Special Cop In Action

Didn't Film-art announce "High Crime"  like about 18 months ago or something? Still nothing on that release sadly  >:(

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato

They did, but I was told that the elements are not in the best condition, which might explain why it's not been released yet. Part of the reason why some of the Italian cult films on Blu-Ray don't look great is because they haven't been properly preserved. I have seen one such archive and was surprised how disorganised and poorly maintained it was.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.