• 25 Jun 2019 - 08:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Centurion (Neil Marshall, 2010)  (Read 2485 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Centurion (Neil Marshall, 2010)
« on: 26 Apr 2010 - 08:06 »

Went to see this last night. It’s no work of genius and originality barely creeps into its very brief 97 minute running time but Marshall’s latest film is great fun. The film concerns Rome’s obsession with conquering Scotland and the Empire’s latest attempt at doing so. When the fearful 9th Legion is set the task of taking down the feral Pic tribe, its commanding officer, Dominic West, is confident he and his men will prevail, but they soon find themselves outnumbered and having to negotiate a terrain their enemy has a greater understanding of.

CENTURION probably spends about 20 minutes establishing its premise and characters before segueing into a chase flick that never lets up, a la APOCALYPTO. It’s incredibly violent too but the 15-rated version I saw in the cinema looks like it may have been cut to avoid an 18 – there were several instances when violence seemed to cut-away, jarring the music. Let’s hope Pathe see fit to release an uncut DVD and Blu-ray.

Michael Fassbender (INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS), Noel Clarke (DOGHOUSE), David Morrissey (RED RIDING), Liam Cunningham (HUNGER), Olga Kurylenko (QUANTUM OF SOLACE), Riz Ahmed (SHIFTY) and Scarlett Johansson-alike Imogen Poots (28 WEEKS LATER) co-star.

Go and see it  :-X
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
Re: Centurion (Neil Marshall, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 08:18 »

I'm convinced NM has something in it for the Scots! His last film was a complete insult to us (barbarian cannibalistic nutters!), Dog Soldiers makes rural folk as werewolves, and Descent 1/2 have a Scot go through hell.  :-*
I remember asking him this at Dead By Dawn a few years back, lol.

Still love his films, I'd def see this one!!
Dig that groove baby.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 08:50 »

I'm convinced NM has something in it for the Scots! His last film was a complete insult to us (barbarian cannibalistic nutters!), Dog Soldiers makes rural folk as werewolves, and Descent 1/2 have a Scot go through hell.  :-*

I'm sure if you were a filmmaker Andy, you'd be the next Mel Gibson and the English would be responsible for everything!  :-\

Well, the Pics aren't presented in the best possible light but at least they're those that are defending their country from the invading Romans!
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 08:53 »

I'm convinced NM has something in it for the Scots!
Probably because he's a Geordie. :-\

Do you remember the comic strip "The Jocks and the Geordies" where they were always fighting each other.

It was in The Dandy or Beano. (can't remember which)

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 09:38 »

I'm sure if you were a filmmaker Andy, you'd be the next Mel Gibson and the English would be responsible for everything!  :-\

Well, the Pics aren't presented in the best possible light but at least they're those that are defending their country from the invading Romans!

Lol....Never take my freedom!!  :-*

I'll be keeping my eye out for this one.
Dig that groove baby.

broonage

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • j'aime tous les dvds.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 09:39 »

I'm convinced NM has something in it for the Scots!
Probably because he's a Geordie. :-\

Do you remember the comic strip "The Jocks and the Geordies" where they were always fighting each other.

It was in The Dandy or Beano. (can't remember which)

I remember that! I think it was The Dandy.
Dig that groove baby.

TheDuke

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 14:43 »

I enjoyed Centurion, but it's probably my least favourite of Neil's film, this was the only one where I felt he didn't get the characters right, it was one of the few times where I thougth a film should be longer, could have done with a bit more time to flesh out everyone. Though I think he did a great job of filming an epic type adventure on what was probably a limited budget.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2010 - 20:46 »

I enjoyed Centurion, but it's probably my least favourite of Neil's film, this was the only one where I felt he didn't get the characters right, it was one of the few times where I thougth a film should be longer, could have done with a bit more time to flesh out everyone. Though I think he did a great job of filming an epic type adventure on what was probably a limited budget.

It did look pretty good considering the budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.