• 16 Aug 2018 - 02:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heartless (Philip Ridley, 2009)  (Read 1109 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Heartless (Philip Ridley, 2009)
« on: 30 Jun 2010 - 10:12 »

Got around to seeing this last night. Bearing in mind that this is only the third feature Ridley has made during his 20-year career, and given that his debut THE REFLECTING SKIN is an underrated gem of the highest order, I was really optimistic about this. I wasn’t disappointed. The film follows the plight of Jamie, a likeable young man with a huge confidence issue caused by a disfiguring, heart-shaped birthmark that covers most of the left side of his face. Although Jamie’s father passed away some time before he has a strong relationship with his kindly mother and older brother, who has a family of his own.

Jamie and his mother live in a rough part of East London: a place where “hoody culture” has hit unbearable levels. The local youths, clad in hooded tops and demon masks, have taken to attacking passers-by with Molotov cocktails. Where Jamie had been a passive presence in his community, a shattering personal tragedy forces him to investigate the street urchins further, with devastating—and altogether supernatural—consequences.

HEARTLESS isn’t as good as THE REFLECTING SKIN: Ridley’s debut had a lyrical quality and was almost flawless the director’s latest film is a little more inconsistent. Much of the imagery in REFLECTING SKIN was ambiguous and open to interpretation, whereas in HEARTLESS Ridley’s use of symbolism is a little more heavy-handed. Don’t get me wrong, HEARTLESS is still a great film that works on a number of levels and something that stands heads and shoulders above the majority of other genre films of the past five years.

The Blu-ray is 1080i. Picture quality in daylight and well-lit scenes is excellent but darker sequences are pretty horrible. The sounds is great – a nice, thumping DTS track that’s sure to wake up the neighbours. Extras include a commentary by Ridley, music videos and little else.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.