• 08 Dec 2019 - 22:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Land That Time Forgot (Kevin Conner, 1974)  (Read 3418 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

The Land That Time Forgot (Kevin Conner, 1974)
« on: 28 Jul 2007 - 22:01 »

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT 1974

Doug McClure, Susan Penhaglion, John McEnery

A German sub led by Captain Von Shoernvorts (McEnery) routinely sinks American cargo vessels. The few survivors, led by Bowen Tyler (McClure), manage to board the sub and gain control of it only to end up lost somewhere in the South Atlantic. They stumble upon a lost continent filled with various dinosaurs and cavemen. The two factions, German and American, must work together to make it off the island of Caprona alive.

A co-pro between Amicus and AIP, LAND is quite an exciting adventure film that still holds up. Some of the effects are uneven but so what. The sets are gorgeous especially the first shot of the interior of the island when the sub ascends from the narrow underwater tunnel. Also the miniature work is great and director Kevin Conner pulls off a very exciting finale which puts the fine score to good use.

McClure is fine and plays the role quite natural. I have read that some fans criticize his performance. I don't see why. Although McClure was not the first hired to play the role. Stuart Whitman was initially hired to play Tyler, but the producer did not like him and ordered that Whitman be paid off not to appear in the movie (supposedly, Whitman never did get his full compensation). McClure was going through a divorce at the time, and he, himself did not want to be in the movie and had occasional tantrums during the filming.

McEnery, who plays the German leader, eventually befriends Tyler and his band. This doesn't sit well with Dietz, the second in command who only wants to return to Germany with the Americans as his prisoners.  McEnery's voice is dubbed here by Anton Diffring.

The group also rescue a friendly caveman who helps them out in a couple hairy situations. Although this is essentially a kiddie matinee, there are a number of moderately violent scenes involving men being impaled on spears or stone axes.

The film was one of the biggest successes in Britain for the year and another Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptation was announced. There would be three more films although Amicus would handle three of them, however to a lesser extent in the third film.

Director Conner and producer John Dark would also shoot AT THE EARTH'S CORE (with Peter Cushing and Caroline Munro) in '76, THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (with Patrick Wayne, Sarah Douglas, Dana Gillespie) in '77 and WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS in '78.

Again, there's lots to recommend here. It's a very colorful movie with lots of action, a good score and some decent effects work from Hammer's chief rival at the time. I saw this for the first time around 1980. I saw both this and PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT back to back on SHOCK THEATER. It was great to finally see this film remastered and complete without commercial interruption when MGM released it a couple of years ago.

LANZETTA

Re: The Land That Time Forgot (Kevin Conner, 1974)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2007 - 12:04 »

Director Conner and producer John Dark would also shoot AT THE EARTH'S CORE (with Peter Cushing and Caroline Munro) in '76, THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (with Patrick Wayne, Sarah Douglas, Dana Gillespie) in '77 and WARLORDS OF ATLANTIS in '78.
THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and AT THE EARTH'S CORE have been firm favourites since my childhood.

I didn't see PEOPLE until much later which is pretty good but not quite up to the standard of the original.

Never seen WARLORDS. :(

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2007 - 12:09 »

I saw a few of these as a kid, i remember "At the earth's core" the most (those guards were scary when i was a kid!), didn't they come out the ground at Buckingham palace or the white house at the end?

Whats the one where they are on a boat in an icy region and go through a crack to the land of dinosaurs? (is it Land that time forgot or another similar Doug McClure film)

Don't know if i'd enjoy them nowadays but if i see 'em cheap i may pick them up and give them a whirl.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

R-T-C Tim

• Special Cop In Action
  • Rosalba Neri's personal trainer...
    • Mondo Esoterica
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2007 - 12:19 »

I had mixed thoughts on this series - I really enjoyed 'At the Earth's Core' and found 'Warlords of Atlantis' to be very interesting - but 'Land that Time Forgot' just had too many plot contrivances.

The British DVD set is very good and cheap - my review.
Mondo Esoterica - Cult film and DVD reviews from Karl May to Bruno Mattei

pogotheklown

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2007 - 19:05 »

I haven't seen this movie in many many years, but I did enjoy this movie quite a lot back when, along with PEOPLE and AT THE EARTH'S CORE.  I really do need to get these on DVD...

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2007 - 20:52 »

Love all these just as much now as then. Great avatar BTW from Parolini's YETI, GIANT OF THE 20TH CENTURY.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2007 - 10:36 »

I also have an original unused poster for LAND and used poster for WARLORDS...and lobby sets for LAND and PEOPLE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.