• 08 Aug 2022 - 00:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horror Rises from the Tomb / El espanto surge de la tumba (Carlos Aured, 1973)  (Read 3078 times)

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!

In 15th Century France the evil warlock Alaric De Marnac (Naschy) is beheaded and his body and head buried in seperate locations. Modern day and his decendant Hugo de Marnac (also Naschy) goes to a seance and is told where his remains are, which he believes is a hoax but he goes along anyway and of course all the mayhem starts.

Has all the ingredients for a great 70's Euro Horror, eerie locations, gore and plenty of flesh on show (as happened quite often with 70's Spanish films they shot a clothed and unclothed version).

I've not seen many Naschy films but out the handful I have seen so far this is the one I have enjoyed the most.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

babybreese

• Special Cop In Action

It's in my top 5 Naschy titles.
Naschy wrote this one in a couple days, and seems to have been channeling half the plot from Universal-International's THE THING THAT WOULDN'T DIE.  As always he isfused it with plenty of exploitation goodies and came up with one of his most enjoyable concoctions.  Major babage with Helga Line and Emma Cohen never hurts either.
I really disliked this when I first saw it chopped up for TV in the US - they used the covered version and then cut the gore out for TV.  The BCI disc is a dream come true, and also has a Naschy commentary.

ecc

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • CineVentures

I really disliked this when I first saw it chopped up for TV in the US - they used the covered version and then cut the gore out for TV.  The BCI disc is a dream come true, and also has a Naschy commentary.

Same with me.  I first saw it on the Alpha Video EP mode tape of the TV print and thought it was awful (faded, cropped pic, fuzzy sound).  Just the widescreen framing of the covered version in that awful Mondo Crash set made things better.  The BCI disc is great.

THE RITA HN

Naschy wrote this one in a couple days, and seems to have been channeling half the plot from Universal-International's THE THING THAT WOULDN'T DIE.

I always wondered that myself.  After watching the two I always feel the need to also watch The Mysterious Doctor (1943).

Regardless - Horror Rises from the Tomb is indeed one of Naschy's masterworks.  That dark, depressing lake (that was also used in Ossorio's Loreley's Grasp(?) is one of the main stars for me.  The bleak atmosphere of Horror Rises... is only outdone by the lonely and seemingly ghost-township feel of The Hanging Woman.

And yes - Emma Cohen!!

indravayu

This was the film that really made me take notice of Naschy and start to seek out his other work. It's just a great 70's horror flick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.