• 29 May 2022 - 02:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tramplers (Albert Band, 1966)  (Read 9827 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

The Tramplers (Albert Band, 1966)
« on: 29 Jul 2007 - 18:09 »

THE TRAMPLERS 1966

Gordon Scott, Joseph Cotten, James Mitchum, Franco Nero, Romolo Puppa

Lon Cordine (Scott) returns home after the Civil War is over to find his father Temple (Cotten) carrying on a private war killing any Yankees they come across. Riffs between the family cause brother to fight against brother that builds to a violent conclusion.

The inspiration for Corbucci's HELLBENDERS is a very good and dramatic western. It resembles an American western more than an Italian oater, although a couple of scenes of rather strong violence favors the latter.

Former Tarzan and peplum star Gordon Scott is impressive as the films hero. Certainly one of the better actors to come out of the Italian Fusto movies when the westerns took over, Scott plays Lon as a level headed man who only wants to put the war behind him and make peace with his family but this proves impossible as Temple has become something of a madman sending Lon to "talk" to Charlie Garvin (Franco Nero in his first western) to keep him away from one of his daughters. Of course, Lon has no intention of killing the man so Temple sends two of his equally homicidal sons to make sure Garvin is killed. This begins the downward spiral of the Cordine family.

Hobie (Mitchum) is the greenhorn who wants to prove himself a useful addition to the family. He heads off on a mission ahead of Lon, Garvin and his wife only to return missing an arm. From here on out, his character begins rather cold and doesn't mind shooting a man while he's down. He never strays from his brother Lon's side, but his character transforms into a darker version of his former self.

Cotten isn't quite as sadistic as he is in HELLBENDERS, but he is villainous. Like the later film, he firmly believes that what he is doing is right and just. Cotten's comeuppance is a bit more bittersweet here than the poetic justice meted out in HELLBENDERS.

Nero makes his western debut here and does nothing to really stand out. But he has a good look about him which was what attracted Corbucci to him in the first place to make him the star of the legendary DJANGO from the same year.

The score isn't particularly memorable but the movie is and while it's not the most action packed western out there, the dramatic elements make up for this and the finale is good as Lon and Hobie are pinned down in a hotel with numerous gunfighters and their brothers gunning for them outside. If you liked HELLBENDERS, you may also like this one, too.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: The Tramplers (Albert Band, 1966)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2007 - 09:49 »

Did Band co-direct this with anyone else? Like he did with Corbucci on 'Hellbenders'?

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2007 - 21:08 »

He is the sole director listed in the credits and is only a producer on HELLBENDERS. If he did in fact direct some scenes it is unknown to me. None of the reference books I have on spaghetti's mention any involvement outside of being the producer. And I do not have the Weisser book as I do not see the point in spending the amount of money for mis-information.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2007 - 21:18 »

He is the sole director listed in the credits and is only a producer on HELLBENDERS. If he did in fact direct some scenes it is unknown to me. None of the reference books I have on spaghetti's mention any involvement outside of being the producer. And I do not have the Weisser book as I do not see the point in spending the amount of money for mis-information.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up mate. I was just going off the info I'd read on imdb, I know I shouldn't give that website the time of day but I needed it clearing up just to be sure.  :'(

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2007 - 21:25 »

The Castellari one I watched yesterday was great, too.

The Hunchback

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2007 - 22:32 »

Cool, thanks for clearing that up mate. I was just going off the info I'd read on imdb, I know I shouldn't give that website the time of day but I needed it clearing up just to be sure.  :'(

a lot of hate for IMDB. I think any website that lists information on practically every movie in existance should get some sort of respect.

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2007 - 08:50 »

a lot of hate for IMDB. I think any website that lists information on practically every movie in existance should get some sort of respect.

Yeah, fair point. It's a truly amazing resource, just need to double check the info sometimes as there's tonnes of mistakes on there.

The Hunchback

« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2007 - 21:12 »

Yeah, fair point. It's a truly amazing resource, just need to double check the info sometimes as there's tonnes of mistakes on there.

That's bound to happen with a site holding up so much information.
Wikipedia is no better in that aspect.

LANZETTA

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2007 - 13:56 »

THE TRAMPLERS 1966

Gordon Scott, Joseph Cotten, James Mitchum, Franco Nero, Romolo Puppa

Lon Cordine (Scott) returns home after the Civil War is over to find his father Temple (Cotten) carrying on a private war killing any Yankees they come across. Riffs between the family cause brother to fight against brother that builds to a violent conclusion.

The inspiration for Corbucci's HELLBENDERS is a very good and dramatic western. It resembles an American western more than an Italian oater, although a couple of scenes of rather strong violence favors the latter.

Former Tarzan and peplum star Gordon Scott is impressive as the films hero. Certainly one of the better actors to come out of the Italian Fusto movies when the westerns took over, Scott plays Lon as a level headed man who only wants to put the war behind him and make peace with his family but this proves impossible as Temple has become something of a madman sending Lon to "talk" to Charlie Garvin (Franco Nero in his first western) to keep him away from one of his daughters. Of course, Lon has no intention of killing the man so Temple sends two of his equally homicidal sons to make sure Garvin is killed. This begins the downward spiral of the Cordine family.

Hobie (Mitchum) is the greenhorn who wants to prove himself a useful addition to the family. He heads off on a mission ahead of Lon, Garvin and his wife only to return missing an arm. From here on out, his character begins rather cold and doesn't mind shooting a man while he's down. He never strays from his brother Lon's side, but his character transforms into a darker version of his former self.

Cotten isn't quite as sadistic as he is in HELLBENDERS, but he is villainous. Like the later film, he firmly believes that what he is doing is right and just. Cotten's comeuppance is a bit more bittersweet here than the poetic justice meted out in HELLBENDERS.

Nero makes his western debut here and does nothing to really stand out. But he has a good look about him which was what attracted Corbucci to him in the first place to make him the star of the legendary DJANGO from the same year.

The score isn't particularly memorable but the movie is and while it's not the most action packed western out there, the dramatic elements make up for this and the finale is good as Lon and Hobie are pinned down in a hotel with numerous gunfighters and their brothers gunning for them outside. If you liked HELLBENDERS, you may also like this one, too.
You've made me want to watch this again IC. ::)

First time round i found it dull so hopefully it'll grow on me. :-X

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2013 - 01:22 »

Wild East DVD

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2013 - 13:57 »

I watched the Wild East DVD. Looks pretty nice but not outstanding, I took some screen grabs, they look better still than in motion.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.