• 22 Nov 2017 - 22:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: This Is England '86 (Shane Meadows, Tom Harper, 2010)  (Read 11997 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store

This four-part drama continues the story of Shane Meadows’s superb 2006 film. Almost all the original cast is back for mini-series which was co-written by Meadows and Jack Thorne (THE SCOUTING BOOK FOR BOYS). The first two episodes are directed by Tom Harper (THE SCOUTING BOOK FOR BOYS) and the final parts by Meadows himself.

First part was shown on Channel Four last night. Set three years after the events of the film (there’s a brilliant transitional scene which shifts from a recap of the films ending to the start of the series), and finds Shaun (Thomas Turgoose) finishing his exams and looking for work, and Woody (Joe Gilgun) and Lol (Vicky McClure) just about to get married. Without giving too much away, the first episode was brilliant, full of Meadow’s trademark wit and uncomfortable tension, and I’m sure the series will do justice to a great film. The second part airs on Channel Four next Tuesday at 10.00.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Mark GW

Re: This Is England '86 (Shane Meadows, Tom Harper, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 09:19 »

I enjoyed it but found it a bit uneven, not helped by the ridiculous number of ad breaks which really disrupted the flow.  Bloody Channel Four.  I really enjoyed the original film and hope that the series comes close to eclipsing it.

Good to hear 'Rainmaker' being played during the 50cc motorbike gang scene.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 11:50 »

Ha! Jonny will be pleased - Ian Brown has a cameo in a later episode as a copper!

More info here.

(Picture taken from the Shane Meadows forum)
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 13:05 »

I found it quite disappointing to be honest, I am hoping that it will pick up over the coming episodes.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #4 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 13:26 »

I found it quite disappointing to be honest, I am hoping that it will pick up over the coming episodes.

What was it that you found disappointing, Oli?

demented_uk

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 15:02 »

What was it that you found disappointing, Oli?

I thought the dialogue was stilted and the extended musical sequences grated a bit.  I watched THIS IS ENGLAND again on Saturday to prepare for the first episode but found it to be a completely different tone.  It might have something to do with it being a different director to Meadows.  It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 16:58 »

the first episode was brilliant
I personally thought it was just ok, nothing special.

That bully character was quite a bad actor I thought and at times reminded me a lot of Alan Partridge, the character in the headband I found annoying, the rest of the cast were ok though.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Stephen Grimes

« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2010 - 18:23 »

the character in the headband I found annoying,
He reminded me of Rab C Nesbit's son Wee Burnie,only not so wee!

Enjoyed this first episode.Nice to see they used just about all of the original cast from the film as well,including that hot vixen Smell. :-*

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 06:25 »

the first episode was brilliant
I personally thought it was just ok, nothing special.

That bully character was quite a bad actor I thought and at times reminded me a lot of Alan Partridge, the character in the headband I found annoying, the rest of the cast were ok though.

Was he a bad actor? I think back to my days at school and remember laughing at how some of the "tough" kids carried on - a lot of them like terrible actors!

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #9 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 07:20 »

It was alright. Though I've always had a problem with Eli Dingle's acting. He just doesn't seem very good to me.

Loved some of the girls 80's haircuts though. Apart from that girl who cops off with the ginger kid, she's a bit freaky looking.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 07:28 »

Loved some of the girls 80's haircuts though. Apart from that girl who cops off with the ginger kid, she's a bit freaky looking.

Ha! That's the one Stephen likes.  :-\ I met her at a screening of the film, way back when, and she was very nice.

Vicky McClure (who plays the lead, Lol) is very pleasing on the eye, as is the girl who plays her sister  8)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #11 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 08:20 »

Vicky McClure (who plays the lead, Lol) is very pleasing on the eye, as is the girl who plays her sister  8)

Haha! Yeah, those are the two that caught my eye. Reminded me a lot of some of the girls back when I was at school.
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #12 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 08:46 »

I thought the one with the pink hair was quite nice.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #13 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 09:39 »

I thought the one with the pink hair was quite nice.

Really?

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #14 on: 09 Sep 2010 - 09:47 »

Was he a bad actor?
I'd say so.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 21 queries.