• 05 Mar 2021 - 00:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mojo (Jez Butterworth, 1997)  (Read 2308 times)

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
Mojo (Jez Butterworth, 1997)
« on: 23 Oct 2010 - 10:29 »

London. The 1950's. The discovery of a young Cliff Richard-style rock 'n' roll singer (Hans Matheson) in a Soho milk bar leads to big trouble as manager and nightclub owner Ezra (Ricky Tomlinson) struggles to stop predatory gangster Sam Ross (Harold Pinter) from muscling in on the action...

Something of a companion-piece to Nick Moran's later Telstar: The Joe Meek Story (2008), this underrated English film features a great cast (Ian Hart, Ewen Bremner, Andy Serkis and Aidan Gillen are amongst those who also appear), great performances, a strong storyline and stylish direction. It isn't perfect by any means but it seems to have disappeared without a trace.

I assume it was available on VHS, but to the best of my knowledge it's never had a DVD release - after spending ages searching for it I finally tracked down a copy, presumably taken from the TV broadcast I remember from a few years back...

Any other fans out there?

argento

Re: Mojo (Jez Butterworth, 1997)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Nov 2010 - 12:45 »

I saw the film on its tv showing and thought it was excellent ...
 Harold Pinter was slime personified as the promoter, all the other actors were good,
 with a great atmosphere of 50s coffee bars/rock and roll . I dont know if this made any money
 in the cinema,it deserved to .

pricey

• Almost Human
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2010 - 15:26 »

I saw the original stage play of this, so couldn't wait for the film. Must admit I was slightly disappointed by it when I saw it in the cinema. Interesting it has been buried - the director did 'Birthday Girl' with Nicole Kidman. reminds me of the film of 'the Slab Boys' by John Byrne that was chucked away after it came out.

drmiaow

• Special Cop In Action
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2010 - 11:59 »

I never saw Birthday Girl but I remember that the reviews I read weren't too complimentary. Plus, I've got a vague recollection that Nicole Kidman didn't like it much: she said the final product "...wasn't the film she signed up for", or words to that effect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.