• 03 Jun 2020 - 03:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defining EuroCult Moments  (Read 2430 times)

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Defining EuroCult Moments
« on: 06 Jul 2007 - 10:55 »

There must be some key films that have drawn you to certain exploitation genres? I mentioned how THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY got me interested from an ealry age, on another thread - I'd never liked westerns before seeing the film - was always burdoned with watching BONANZA and John Wayne films on a Sunday afternoon; not an ideal induction into a genre, eh? Anyway, all that changed after I stayed up to watch TGTB&TU with my dad when I was 10.

With SUSPIRIA, I had always loved horror flicks but had become really bored by the run-of-the-mill bollocks that was being churned out of HOllywood. That said, by the mid-90s, horror was a dead genre, with very few coming out ata ll. I started to seek out older films and when I came across SUSPIRIA, I was completely blown away.

All the other flicks that I would say defined what I like now, were introduced by Inspector Tanzi, so I'll always be grateful to him for his enthusiasm for them. The films he put me onto that I can categorially state have changed the way I think about movies include COMPANEROS, DANGER: DIABOLIK, DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE, HIGH CRIME, VIOLENT NAPLES and TENEBRAE.

I used to be really dismissive of exploitation films and was a bit of a twat, really. I was 18/19 at the time and was studying film and thought I should be watching all the recent world cinema films. I was a pompous cunt and looking back on it, have no troubl admitting that.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

paperbag

• Special Cop In Action
Re: Defining EuroCult Moments
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 17:06 »

Thats a nice story... Sergio Leone is usually the one that gets people interested.. like me too. My favourite movie used to be Leathal Weapon 4.. then I saw A Fistful of Dollars and *boom*

Its only been in last few years though

Some of the films that made me venture out of the easy to find stuff were A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE KILLER, DEEP RED, DJANGO, CUT THROATS NINE, VIOLENT NAPLES and FROM BEIJING WITH LOVE

Gary B.

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 17:37 »

As a young kid, I would go to the local video store every week with my parents and they'd let me rent one movie that I wanted.  This place, called DISCOUNT VIDEO had everything on both BETA and VHS (My parents had BETA for years even after VHS took over, so it was the only place we could go to rent movies!).  Luckily this place had an impressive horror section, including all of the Italian stuff, including the huge box on the top, unreachable row of JUNGLE HOLOCAUST that had a disclaimer sign saying nobody under 21 was allowed to rent!!  amazing...  Every time I'd go in I'd try to talk my dad into letting me rent it, but he never did (to this day, we still joke about the movie, but it was only a few years ago that I finally saw it via the Shriek Show DVD, and wasn't sure why they had a 21+ age limit on it...)  anyway, I got to see such classics as ZOMBIE and AUTOPSY among many others from the age of 8-12, and really didn't start collecting movies until much later when DVD came onto the scene.  My interest in Italian movies is definitely grounded in the floorboards of DISCOUNT VIDEO.

The first DVD I bought was 'DONT TORTURE A DUCKLING' and I never looked back.  (I actually bought it from the previously mentioned video store!  they had only 2 DVD's in stock, DUCKLING, and CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, thus sending me into the abyss of DVD collecting.)  My introduction to euro-crime came from THE FAMILY (Citta violenta), and it still remains one of my favorites.

vigilanteforce

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2007 - 18:20 »

Quoting myself from another thread!

RULERS OF THE CITY was the first Italian crime movie I ever watched. I was 5-perhaps even less- and my (long gone- god bless him) uncle had a video rental store. He used to give my parents all kinds of films (mostly action) on betamax tapes. This was one of the tapes he had given us and I had watched it with my parents. When I bought the Greek VHS on Cinehollywood like 15 years later, I still remembered the slow motion opening sequence of Palance killing the boy's dad. That bit had scared the shit out of me when I was a kid

Thanks to my uncle who used to give us beta tapes, I had also seen a few more films, such as Lenzi's DAUGHTER OF THE JUNGLE and 1990 THE BRONX WARRIORS which remains a favorite of mine until today. I remember we also had some of the more extreme Italian movies which my parents were keeping away from me- movies such as MANGIATI VIVI (which had the most impressive/memorable cover art), THE NEW YORK RIPPER and Franco Prosperi's TERROR/LA SETTIMA DONNA. I remember these tapes being in our house although I only got to watch the actual movies many years later.

Beautiful Greek cover for Umberto Lenzi's MANGIATI VIVI/EATEN ALIVE- one of the oldest Greek tapes ;)

I started collecting in my teens, when I met Bill Barounis (Mr. Onar Films himself) who sold me some originals. Afterwards I started going on VHS hunting on my own- visited many old video stores across the country and bought loads of Greek tapes. I got rid of some when the DVD era came although I am still keeping most of them!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.