• 19 Apr 2021 - 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Villain (Michael Tuchner, 1971)  (Read 9464 times)

BrundleFlyboy

Villain (Michael Tuchner, 1971)
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jun 2008 - 22:56 »

Well, this is my first post here so greetings to you all, although I am not sure if this fits here but I think it probably should! I loves me Italian Crime films but was recently pointed towards this 'gem' as an unheralded piece of solid British crime grime... am thinking of purchasing it and just wondered if any of you learned crime flick afficianados could chuck me your opinions!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Villain (Michael Tuchner, 1971)
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jun 2008 - 14:19 »

Welcome, Brundleflyboy! As far as I know, it's omly available on UK disc - the DVD is a barebones affair, but it does present the film in all it's origianl 2.35:1 glory. Would definitely recommend the disc, and you should be able to pick it up cheap.  :-X
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

BrundleFlyboy

« Reply #17 on: 03 Jun 2008 - 01:58 »

Cheers, since I put this originally in the wrong category (duurrhh!!) I have now done a fair bit o' reading on it and I think it is definitely getting the ol' 1 click purchase from Amazon... saw a clip on youtube as well; Burton's accent is fantastic!

I know a fair ol' bit about Genre pics so I love it when one such as this creeps up on you just when you think you know 'em all.

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2008 - 17:40 »

VILLIAN is a gritty British crime flick and although not in the league of THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY or GET CARTER, it really should be afforded more respect.

I've been watching a lot of Burton's late 60s/early 70s output lately, VILLAIN, BOOM!, BLUEBEARD, THE ASSISSINATION OF TROTSKY.  Next up the late 70s, THE MEDUSA TOUCH.

Burton and McShane are excellent and VILLAIN has some great ensemble acting.  I especially dig watching Burton punch and kick people.  >:(  Quite the sadist!  :-*  Also love the quirky electronic Clockworkian/Wendy Carlos music that plays twice in the film.  First, when you realize that Burton and McShane are more than just gangsters, and second, when Vic's mum dies.

Re: Burton and McShane's relationship, my take was that it was one of necessity for Burton, it was who he was, and one of troubling convenience for McShane, who on one hand was always avoiding Burton, liked shaggin' birds, but on the other hand got special treatment from Burton, in more ways than one, plus he stayed on Vic's good side, which isn't a bad thing after witnessing his bad side and its mean streak. 

Agree?  Disagree? 

Nice film, but as Paul notes, not quite in the league of GET CARTER or THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, though VILLAIN would make an enjoyable double bill with Cammell's (& Roeg's) PERFORMANCE. 
"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 09:16 »

Re: Burton and McShane's relationship, my take was that it was one of necessity for Burton, it was who he was, and one of troubling convenience for McShane, who on one hand was always avoiding Burton, liked shaggin' birds, but on the other hand got special treatment from Burton, in more ways than one, plus he stayed on Vic's good side, which isn't a bad thing after witnessing his bad side and its mean streak. 

Agree?  Disagree? 

I agree.  :-\
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Alfetta

« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2008 - 10:58 »

I recall the novel 'The Burden Of Proof' by James Barlow gives more explanation of Dakin and Lissner's relationship. I think Wolfe was bisexual but still obviously wary of falling out of favour with Vic, who eventually sets 'the chaps' on him anyway in the book. All very Ronnie Kray-esque.

reaper72

« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2008 - 23:04 »

Yeah really enjoyed Villain,as mentioned above,very Ronnie Kray.....would also make a great double bill with THE SQUEEZE.....wonder why Optimum can see fit to release this,and yet Warner can't with Apted's movie :-[

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2008 - 08:34 »

Yeah really enjoyed Villain,as mentioned above,very Ronnie Kray.....would also make a great double bill with THE SQUEEZE.....wonder why Optimum can see fit to release this,and yet Warner can't with Apted's movie :-[

The difference is that Optimum is run by a couple of guys that are very film savvy and they're quite astute at picking the titles from the Canal+ (the French Company that owns Optimum) catalogue. Warner has got far bigger fish to fry, or so it seems...

Alfetta

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2008 - 17:27 »

In case anyone out there is interested, there's a big feature in the latest issue of Classic Car Weekly about 'Villain', mainly about all the old cars in it, although there's plenty of non-automotive detail about the film too.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2010 - 13:26 »

I finally got my own dvd of this a couple of weeks ago and watched it last night, haven't seen it for 18 months or so (when I borrowed Alfetta's copy).

I actually probably enjoyed it more the second time around, Burton sure was a class actor.

I noticed that the screenplay was adapted from the book by Al Lettieri. didn't realise that.

Does anyone know the location when the robbery took place?, I think I've been there but it's bugging me.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2013 - 19:18 »

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.