• 19 Jan 2021 - 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blood on Satan's Claw (Piers Haggard, 1971)  (Read 13274 times)

The Hunchback

Blood on Satan's Claw (Piers Haggard, 1971)
« on: 04 Aug 2007 - 00:46 »

I went in with no idea what I was about to watch.
The first scene in the attic set the mood to, what I thought would be, an H.P Lovecraft type story of a monster living under the foundation of a house. Then it quickly changed to the more uninteresting storyline of witchcraft and Satanic rituals leaving the "monster in the house" motif to be forgotten.

It wasn't a bad film. I liked it quite a bit. Just rather would have had the monster storyline best and the WICKER MAN stuff left out.

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: Blood on Satan's Claw (Piers Haggard, 1971)
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:08 »

WICKER MAN wasn't out yet. It didn't come out until 73. This film was done in the wake of WITCHFINDER GENERAL's popularity.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:18 »

Where did you get this? DId you see the excellent Anchor Bay UK release? I have this one. The movie is about the resurrection of the Devil through the sacrifice of the town parents and selected children. Linda Hayden spreads the "disease" by way of 'Satan's Skin' (the original title for the film) patches of hair found on newly "baptised" disciples of the Devil. Wymark is the witchfinder who apparently has fought the Devil before and is enlisted to stop him once more. Great movie.

The Hunchback

« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:31 »

WICKER MAN wasn't out yet.

Yes but all the pagan like dancing, white dresses, young girls in the nude felt like WICKER MAN all over again (which is fine. I liked WM. It has some great musical numbers! ::)).

The Hunchback

« Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:33 »

Wymark is the witchfinder who apparently has fought the Devil before and is enlisted to stop him once more. Great movie.

It seemed to me that the Wymark character was a non-believer of witchcraft in the beginning of the film but later researches it and comes back as a witch warrior.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:36 »

But where did you see this from? I didn't know there was a US release. The paganism can't be WICKER MAN all over again because it wasn't made yet. I know what you're saying but you can't blame the film for a conceit that exists in a film that came after this one.

The Hunchback

« Reply #6 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:36 »

Where did you get this? DId you see the excellent Anchor Bay UK release?

It was burnt on dvd for me. The menu is not from the dvd itself so I'm not sure if it was the AB disc.

It also came with a short featurette.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #7 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:38 »

That would be the AB UK disc. Excellent doc. It had Linda Hayden commenting on it right?

The Hunchback

« Reply #8 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:39 »

The paganism can't be WICKER MAN all over again because it wasn't made yet. I know what you're saying but you can't blame the film for a conceit that exists in a film that came after this one.

I see your point. Your right.

If your interested in where the copy is from ask LANZETTA (when he returns). He burnt me the dvd.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:40 »

Well that would be the AB UK one then. I thought you might of rented it off netflix or something.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #10 on: 04 Aug 2007 - 01:41 »

There's another movie similar to this and WITCHFINDER GENERAL called CRY OF THE BANSHEE with Price. The witches are sort of the good guys in this one.

LANZETTA

« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2007 - 17:06 »

The movie is about the resurrection of the Devil through the sacrifice of the town parents and selected children. Linda Hayden spreads the "disease" by way of 'Satan's Skin' (the original title for the film) patches of hair found on newly "baptised" disciples of the Devil. Wymark is the witchfinder who apparently has fought the Devil before and is enlisted to stop him once more. Great movie.
Yes a great movie indeed,and as commented on the only weakness is the ending which is slightly anti-climatic.

Hunchback,did you like the musical score?

The Hunchback

« Reply #12 on: 08 Aug 2007 - 02:26 »

The movie is about the resurrection of the Devil through the sacrifice of the town parents and selected children. Linda Hayden spreads the "disease" by way of 'Satan's Skin' (the original title for the film) patches of hair found on newly "baptised" disciples of the Devil. Wymark is the witchfinder who apparently has fought the Devil before and is enlisted to stop him once more. Great movie.
Yes a great movie indeed,and as commented on the only weakness is the ending which is slightly anti-climatic.

Hunchback,did you like the musical score?

I don't remember it. :(

lilly

• Anonymous Avenger
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2008 - 10:36 »

Watched this yesterday.
Got the disc as part of the Tigon boxset from Anchorbay.

very underated british horror
Linda Hayden looks fantastic in it as Angel Blake.
Also look out for Eddie Yates from Coronation Street near the end.
some great docs on the disc as well

Chad

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2008 - 14:38 »

I caught this on TCM a few weeks back, it was a decent little film with a kickass score
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.