• 06 Jun 2020 - 04:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BRITISH HORROR & FANTASY FILMS  (Read 7297 times)

IL COMMISSARIO

Re: BRITISH HORROR & FANTASY FILMS
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2008 - 05:25 »

Commissario  The one thing i did like in The Haunting remake was the score by Jerry Goldsmith.

I hated that movie so much I don't even remember the score.

tigerheart76

« Reply #16 on: 02 Apr 2008 - 20:28 »

RAW MEAT 1974-Gruesome British horror about a cave-in years earlier trapping subway passengers who result to cannibalism to survive. Some are still alive and kill anyone that wanders too close. Donald Pleasance is the quirky detective on the case and features a small role by Chris Lee. Remade a couple of years ago in the scary british horror film CREEP.

Also known as DEATH LINE, if I remember rightly. Always wanted to see this.

TOMB OF LIGEIA, THE 1968-Price’s final and favorite of his Poe-Corman collaborations. Slow in places but grows on you after repeated viewings. The usual spooky atmosphere. One of Corman’s best ever.

The visuals on this one, like MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH are stunning.

FLASH GORDON 1980-Not horror but fantastic and ahead of its time fantasy adventure that features many british and Italian technicians behind as well as in front of the camera. A 22 million misfire is regarded as a cult item now. De Laurentiis discovered Sam Jones on the Dating Game and the Queen title track was a top ten hit in Britain in 1980. Stunning visuals and perfectly captures the FG serials from the 40s. Max Von Sydow is THE Ming the Merciless. Timothy Dalton, Peter Wynyard (as Klytus) and Ornella Muti (who sadly keeps her clothes on in this one) A rocking fantasy classic not to be missed.

Most definitely - this one always gets watched when it's rolled out on Saturday afternoon TV!  ::)

KRULL 1983-Another superb british fantasy spectacular that was ignored during its original release. A 30 million bomb released the same weekend as RETURN OF THE JEDI, KRULL was branded a STAR WARS clone. Ken Marshall is fine as the hero and the predominantly brit cast Lysette Anthony (who went on to do many erotic movies and Playboy), Freddie Jones and Franchesca Annis. The bombastic and thrilling score from James Horner is his favorite and one of the best film scores ever. The complete 2 disc score is a collectors item now.

Fantastic film and well worth catching if you can...thanks for posting these, Commissario!

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #17 on: 02 Apr 2008 - 20:34 »

Thanks, KRULL is awesome. I was able to get ahold of the 2 disc complete score for this one. Horner's most personable score (then anyways).

FLASH GORDON is another fave. The UK steelbook is an excellent release. I didn't even bother with the US disc. I heard Sam Jones had recorded an audio commentary but it's not on there but instead you get an interview with the guy who designed the dvd box art(!?!?)........and Lorenzo Semple Jr.

Just recently got the highly adventurous score to another Brit fantasy favorite, THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT. I'd been looking for this one for years. Composer John Scott put it out on his own label.

K August

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 00:03 »

Thanks for that list Il Commissario.

I've seen far more Hammers than I thought I did, including what has to be one of my new favorites as of this weekend.  I'm floored at how much production value Hammer were able to land for their films.

I finally saw One Million Years B.C. on cable, and well John Richardson could club me on the head and throw me over his shoulder any day.  ;)

Funny, I've seen Mr. Richardson in plenty of Italian films and thought he's a good actor, but he really sold me here (and for more than just his hunky caveman look).

Totally bummed I couldn't record this.

What a great film! I remember seeing the Harryhausen Sinbad and Clash of the Titans as a kid, but his dinos are amazing. I loved the fight between the triceratops and the t-rex.  It's a film like this which proves I'm not as jaded as I thought I was. Thank goodness.

Thanks again sir.

IL COMMISSARIO

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 00:15 »

I finally saw One Million Years B.C. on cable, and well John Richardson could club me on the head and throw me over his shoulder any day.  ;)

Hey, great. Nice to see some fans of these. I could say sort of the same thing about Raquel Welch. 8) The british DVD is longer than the US cut running some 9(?) minutes longer. I don't have it but xploited carried it some time back in its single edition. It's still there in the Hammer Ultimate Collection but it's a bit pricey on Tony's site.

K August

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2008 - 19:08 »

Hey, great. Nice to see some fans of these. I could say sort of the same thing about Raquel Welch. 8) The british DVD is longer than the US cut running some 9(?) minutes longer. I don't have it but xploited carried it some time back in its single edition. It's still there in the Hammer Ultimate Collection but it's a bit pricey on Tony's site.

Many thanks for the info, I nearly bought it from Hammer's official site over the weekend, but am curbing my PAL dvd purchases as I don't intend to replace my multi-region player once it goes.

And I think I saw the longer print on tv (Beswick's dance and the dinos seemed to be all intact). Which if it was is very confusing as far as the U.S. release.

Thanks again Il Commissario.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 32 queries.