• 16 Apr 2021 - 12:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Man Who Haunted Himself (Basil Dearden, 1970)  (Read 8310 times)

the blob

• Violent Professional

Roger Moore as businessman Harold Pelham who has a high-speed car crash and seemingly dies for a short while on the operating table. From then on his life is constantly hounded by the continual appearances of someone purporting to be himself and invading every aspect of his work, friends and family. Is there really a doppelganger, or is he going insane and having no recollection of these events after the crash?

One of those late-night double bill films from my childhood that I hadn't watched in a while so I popped in my US AB disc tonight and still holds up very well. Proof that Roger Moore can do more than move his eyebrows as he puts in a very straight-laced stiff upper lip performance as Pelham before convincingly falling apart.

Directed by Basil Dearden, best known by me otherwise for 1945's 'Dead Of Night'. Interesting that this was Dearden's last film before he himself died in a car accident, supposedly not far from where Moore's crash in the film occurred.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
Re: The Man Who Haunted Himself (Basil Dearden, 1970)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2011 - 00:03 »

Never seen this, I've had the Cinema Club dvd for ages, must get around to putting it on.

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2011 - 07:59 »

It's a good film, I have the OOP US disc from Anchor Bay. Dearden was a great filmmaker. I rate Saphhire and Assassination Bureau very highly too.

If you like this I would recommend John Boorman's similar (though a little less camp) 2006 film The Tiger's Tail.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

CJ

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2011 - 12:43 »

The Tiger's Tail (which is a great film) was more obvious though, with a logical explanation at the end of it. What I liked about The Man Who Haunted Himself was that there was no rhyme or reason to it, it just happened, and it's never fully explained - and, to be fair, it doesn't need an explanation, that's just the kind of film it is. Moore gives an excellent performance and really took me by surprise. I guess I'm so used to seeing him as a hammy 007 that I'd overlooked the fact that he is actually a rather good actor. I also liked the ambiguous ending, which left you wondering.

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 02:09 »

Being rereleased by Network next year with a new transfer as part of a 450 British film deal they've done with Studio Canal.

Would make my year if this got a BD release.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 02:14 »

Being rereleased by Network next year with a new transfer as part of a 450 British film deal they've done with Studio Canal.

Would make my year if this got a BD release.
Do you know what the other titles are? (or some of them)

If you do could you make at thread  :D

I still haven't seen it btw.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 08:00 »

I'd imagine there might be a few gems among the 450 but do remember, Studiocanal (or Optimum) was quite prolific in getting titles out between 2006 and last year, so I'd not expect masses of great, unreleased films. MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF was issued previously here by Cinema Club (I can't remember if Optimum put it out too) and I'd bet that there'll be quite a few rereleases.

It's quite interesting that Studiocanal are licencing titles to companies in the UK once more - might it be that some enterprising label does a deal for some Italian stuff (High Crime, in particular).
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 10:40 »

Never seen this, I've had the Cinema Club dvd for ages, must get around to putting it on.

MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF was issued previously here by Cinema Club

Yes, we know.

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 10:48 »

Yes, we know.

Check you out.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 10:56 »

Yes, we know.

Check you out.
It's the sort of post you'd normally come up with telling people to read two posts up etc, you can't deny it  ;D

Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 11:03 »

Yes, we know.

Check you out.
It's the sort of post you'd normally come up with telling people to read two posts up etc, you can't deny it  ;D

You gotme, I didn't read your post. That said I only used the film as an example - there are quite a few Studiocanal-owned titles that were released on Cinema Club or other UK labels that weren't rereleased by Optimum/Studiocanal. It seems to me that since the company rebranded it has no concern for releasing catalogue titles like it had in the Optimum days. Probably a case of diminishing returns - I heard LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN sold quite poorly.

MarcMorris

• Global Moderator
  • Cane Arrabbiato
    • Nucleus Films
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 12:21 »

You should check out the same story (with slight variations) which appeared in Alfred Hitchcock Presents...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Case of Mr. Pelham (1955)
Nucleus Films – Movie Releasing/Extras Production/Disc Authoring

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 13:26 »

I started a thread for the Network News. They didn't list much as yet but there's at least one other title I'd like.

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2012 - 13:30 »

I started a thread for the Network News
::)

the blob

• Violent Professional
« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2013 - 03:47 »

http://networkonair.com/shop/1730-man-who-haunted-himself-the-blu-ray--5027626705343.html

Man Who Haunted Himself (The) [Blu-ray]

SPECIAL FEATURES:
[] DVD of new HD transfer of main feature in as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio
[] Full Frame 4:3, as-filmed version of main feature
[] feature commentary
[] original theatrical trailer
[] music-only audio
[] image gallery
[] promotional material gallery
[] promotional material PDFs

Can't wait!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.