• 17 Oct 2017 - 07:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Climber / L'ambizioso (Pasquale Squitieri, 1974)  (Read 8060 times)

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
Re: The Climber / L'ambizioso (Pasquale Squitieri, 1974)
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2017 - 18:19 »

Watched the blu at the weekend and it's a very nice transfer. Recommended!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

Longsden

• Special Cop In Action
  • Bastard Squad 666
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2017 - 15:17 »

Looking forward to digging into it this weekend

Ben Cobb

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2017 - 16:19 »

Love this film. Great blu release
"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

Michael Blanton

• Cane Arrabbiato
    • Michael Blanton
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jun 2017 - 08:55 »

https://letterboxd.com/michaelblanton/film/the-climber-1975/

Revisited Pasquale Squitieri's L'ambizioso (The Climber) (1975), starring Joe Dallesandro and Stafania Casini with Raymond Pellegrin, Benito Artesi, Ferdinando Murolo, Tony Askin, Giovanni Cianfriglia, Lorenzo Piani and others. Nice score, with catchy theme song, by Franco Campanino. More of a gangster film - think Little Caesar - than a poliziotteschi, Aldo (Dallesandro) is a small-time New York hood who's been sent to Napoli and set up with the local mafia as a collector, smuggling cigarettes and delivering them to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Aldo, greedy and ambitious, starts charging customers extra for the smuggled contraband, but when his bosses find out he's beaten and he leaves Napoli for Roma. Once in Roma, he starts up a crew of small-time hoods, boxers, tough guys, etc., to try and take over the local protection rackets for restaurants, bars, etc. Fans of Marvin Leroy's Little Caesar (1931) and Larry Cohen's Black Caesar (1973) should find much to enjoy.

The transfer on the new Arrow Films blu-ray is gorgeous. There's an excellent essay, "Paradise Lost" by Roberto Curti, along with a 30 minute interview "Little Joe's Adventures in Europe" with Dallesandro discussing his work in Europe, Art Films in France, Genre films in Italy.

"I like to remember things my own way...how I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."
SNAPORAZ!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.