• 03 Jul 2020 - 13:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Tee Shirt Store - NEW designs!! HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scala Season  (Read 4438 times)

Filmbar70

Scala Season
« on: 07 Jul 2011 - 13:35 »

Hi all.
For those unfortunate enough to live in the capital, here's (hopefully) something of interest.
A season celebrating the greatest cinema in King's Cross, like, ever. Yup, the Scala. The place holds a lot of good memories for me - from the first Shock Around the Clock to the multitude of scummy all night sessions. Where I finally got to see the films I had been reading (and dreaming) about since I were a wee nipper. So very happy to be involved (even tho' it's going to kill me). Filmbar's doing the bulk of the programming at the Roxy, but a number of other (proper) cinemas and film clubs will be involved. Hopefully we've been able to replicate the Scala's eclectic mix. FrightFest will be occurring during the season, so hopefully those travelling into town will be able to catch a few...
I'm currently securing the final line up, but can safely say that the Zombie, Gore and HK action all-nighters will be a blast...
Let us know what you want to see (and what should be shown) and share your memories of the joyfully squalid place..
Cheers all,
First Press release below -

13th August – 2nd October 2011 at venues across London.
A season of films reliving the Scala Cinema’s programming history and celebrating the current repertory film scene in London.

The Scala Cinema in Kings Cross was one of the most famous repertory cinemas in London throughout the 80’s and early 90’s, and when it closed many predicted the end of repertory cinema programming.  Nearly 20 years later, with debate raging around illegal downloading, shortening of release windows and the threat of home cinemas many are again predicting the demise of cinema.
But this Autumn will see the launch of Scala Forever, a season of screenings and events taking place at over 20 venues across London reliving the Scala’s famous programming and celebrating all the unique and often little-known places keeping the repertory film programming spirit alive.  Scala Forever!

Special guest speakers including Stephen Woolley, Tilda Swinton, Danny Leigh plus many more to be confirmed will be introducing single screenings, double-bills and all-nighters at venues including Roxy Bar & Screen, BFI Southbank, Riverside Studios, Prince Charles Cinema, Ritzy, Phoenix Cinema, Tricycle Cinema and Rio Cinema, plus many more.  Also involved will be many of London’s filmclubs including Midnight Movies, Cigarette Burns, Filmbar70, Duke Mitchell and Close-Up and more, making up a celebration of the diverse, captivating and unique repertory film programming London has to offer.

The final programme line-up will be confirmed at the beginning of July but will include a launch party on 13th August with a screening of King Kong (the first film to be screened at The Scala), zombie and horror-allnighters, double-bills from the likes of John Waters, Fassbinder, Russ Meyer and Werner Herzog, Kieslowski’s Dekalog, plus many, many (many!) more, finishing up on the 2th October with the closing night party and a screening of the controversial Clockwork Orange.

The season will use the old Scala programme design for the season flyer, and will also produce a special commemorative Programme Book, featuring fascinating memories and articles from all the guest speakers, plus contributions from John Waters, Joanne Sellar (Producer of Paul Thomas Anderson’s movies) and many more.

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
Re: Scala Season
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2011 - 13:41 »

A Scala revival? Nice one, Justin - sounds great, I wish you the best of luck with it.

I told Marc (Morris) last year that there'd be plenty of mileage if he and Jake were to make a documentary about the whole Scala phenomenon and it's downfall, as a follow-up to the Nasties doco.

It's certainly a ripe topic if someone did want to make a film about it.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Jonny

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • I've some extremely distressing news
    • lovelockandload
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2011 - 13:43 »

Sounds great Justin and I hope it's a great success for you all. I'd be at the all-nighters in a heartbeat if I could!
Letterboxd - "Henry Silva has a small zoo at home and his weapon of choice is a bazooka"

martino1705

• Almost Human
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2011 - 16:26 »

good luck with this Justin, I only ever visited once from Birmingham for a John Woo double bill of Bullet in the head and The Killer and the atmosphere was crazy !!

Filmbar70

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2011 - 17:05 »

Thanks guys. It'll most probably kill me!
If you sign up to The Scala Staff & Friends page on FB, you watch a sort doc as per your idea...
I'll update when the programme is finalised.
Cheers,
J

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • Leonardo Tanzi is the Don!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2011 - 17:14 »

I'd be at the all-nighters in a heartbeat if I could!
You could always crash at mine  :D

"When I read the book of Mormon, I feel closer to Jesus Christ."

TheDuke

« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2011 - 12:31 »

I used to love going to the Scala, watched so many great films there, we'll be doing a special Duke Scala Night at The Roxy during early September.

Filmbar70

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 10:44 »

So, here's the trailer I put together -

Here's the list of what Filmbar will be showing...

Wild World Double-Bill
Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
Santé Sangre

Russ Meyer Double-Bill
Mondo Topless
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Second Run DVD Czech Double-Bill
Morgiana
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Dario Argento Triple-Bill
Deep Red
Tenebrae
Opera

Brit Psych-Fi Double-Bill
The Final Programme
Zardoz

Zombie All-nighter
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Blind Dead
I Walked with a Zombie
Nightmare City

Western Double Bill
The Great Silence
Once Upon a Time in the West

Shameless Double Bill
The Frightened Woman
Don’t Torture a Duckling (prior to the release - most prob will do a Filmbar70 loves Babs for that...)

Night of the Bloody Pint All-nighter
Re-Animator
Slugs: The Movie (probaly my proudest moment)
Basket Case
Phantasm (watch out for an on-line pinball game for this - boy!)
Humanoids From the Deep

Eastern Action All-Dayer
A Better Tomorrow
Eastern Condors
Tiger Cage II
The Cat

Horror Double Bill
Black Sunday
Horror Hospital

Plus plenty of other shit around town.
Think that's enough to be going on with...

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 10:47 »

From dvd's or blu ray no doubt.

Would prefer to watch on the big screen on a scratchy old film print, even a cut one.

I'm not shelling out to watch dvd's when I can watch them at home  :D

Filmbar70

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 10:54 »

Fair dos. But remeber - most prints hailing from this age are cut. Not only scratchy (which sorta adds to the charm...).
Think some folk are showing celluloid - not us tho'...

Paul

• Cane Arrabbiato
  • "Vamos A Matar!"
    • The Overlook Movie Store
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 11:20 »

You should finish with a screening of Clockwork Orange, interuppted halfway through by a fat, bearded American in a Parka and a group of old Bill.

Just sayin'.
"Allow me to explain. Your mother is a whore, your father is a damn thief, and your grandfather is a notorious fag... and as for your sister..." - Yodlaf Peterson

Filmbar70

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 11:30 »

You should finish with a screening of Clockwork Orange, interuppted halfway through by a fat, bearded American in a Parka and a group of old Bill.

Just sayin'.
;D
Hey Aaron - you did say cut, soz! However, couldn't show Flesh Eaters sans splinterage...

Inspector Tanzi

• Cane Arrabbiato
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 17:06 »

Fair dos. But remeber - most prints hailing from this age are cut. Not only scratchy (which sorta adds to the charm...).
Think some folk are showing celluloid - not us tho'...
I know it may look better and uncut but I just begrudge shelling out to pay to watch something that I've got the same exact versio nof on dvd.

Plus one niggling fact at these sort of events is that you always seem to get trendy dickheads coming to them thinking they are cool coming along to what they consider "alternative cinema" not realising the sort of stuff they've really come to see and you get the cunts laughing at every little bit of dubbing etc, makes you feel like getting up and knocking them out so they can't carry on ruining your viewing pleasure.

Stuart Chivers

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2011 - 19:55 »

None of the Filmbar screenings will be of actual film prints? That's a shame. A couple of those appeal but I'm not going to attend projections of dvds.

Filmbar70

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2011 - 11:22 »

Yeah - the Roxy isn't set up for film - basically a glorified bar with a projector - but nice for what it is. Reckon some of the others (those with cinemas that is) are showing film. Will try and find out.
Yeah - Aaron, the hipsters are always a threat. For things like Flesh Eaters and Slugs not really an issue, but for some of the quieter stuff would be awful to get the goon squad. Got to say, never really had an issue with this at Filmbar but been to screenings like Suspiria where you get plenty of snickering - and agree, really fucking annoying and childish...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 37 queries.